Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to dump this aircon box and clean up the firewall, it´s not being used
and has become an unwanted passenger.
Does anyone have a pic of what´s behind it, can I just simply take it off ?

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,025 Posts
One question. Do you want to keep the heater and defrost? If so, you are in for a lot of custom fab work. If not, you will have big hole or several big holes to fill. Obtain a sheet of .032" aluminum. Place piece(s) up to the hole(s) and scribe. Cut out about 1/2" outside the scribe line. Attach with seam sealer and pop rivets.

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
theres about twice as much stuff behind the firewall, which contains the heater core, all the flapper doors, all the door control units, and 8+ vent tubes

usualy requires pulling the dash to get it all out ...

heres my 1995+ s-10 setup, all the tubes, along with the interior fan box (controls where the fan draws from, in cabin or outside air) are all buried in the attic, otherwise id throw them in the shot

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that´s cleared that up, I´m not going to dig all that out.
I don´t mind fabricating a plate to cover the hole but I´m not rebuilding all the ductwork inside the dash.
Thanks for the quick responses.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wait a minute.
Could I cut that box off at the firewall and remove the aircon stuff in it,
leaving all the stuff inside the car intact ?

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Don"t some of those heat/ac units route defrost air through the evaporator to dry the air ? I would think you may have to just make sure your flapper doors don't direct the air into a dead end when you select defrost.

If it was me I would unbolt it and see what is behind there, (insert grinning mad scientist smiley here) and look at how all the flap valves move when you start moving levers and throwing switches.. It may be that all you have to do is cut out a diverter. (probably not, but you can hope)

I know on some of those you have to drop the inner fender down a bit or drill a little hole in it to access the lower box fasteners.

DO IT!!

Like Roger Miller said,

do it do it do it.

I :thumbup: would,
Mikey

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,025 Posts
malc said:
Wait a minute.
Could I cut that box off at the firewall and remove the aircon stuff in it,
leaving all the stuff inside the car intact ?
That's why I asked if you wanted to keep the heat and/or defrost. You can do it, but you will have to make sure the air flow is routed properly without the evaporator box. If you don't want them, it wouldn't be a whole lot more work to remove the stuff under the dash. If you aren't going to use it, I would guess you are racing the car. And the easiest way to remove 100 lbs. from a car is to find 1600 places to remove an ounce. Get the weight out of it.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
redsdad said:
And the easiest way to remove 100 lbs. from a car is to find 1600 places to remove an ounce. Get the weight out of it.
Get the drill!!

:thumbup:

Swiss cheese makes a good template.

Mikey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts