Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Footstomper
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I use a T-85 Overdrive transmission, and it has a fixed yoke on the rear of the transmission, could I safely use a slip style driveshaft? And I would not likely have a problem on the length of the driveshaft? Why don't more street rodders use this style driveshaft, is there a reason? Do they viberate?

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Footstomper said:
If I use a T-85 Overdrive transmission, and it has a fixed yoke on the rear of the transmission, could I safely use a slip style driveshaft? And I would not likely have a problem on the length of the driveshaft? Why don't more street rodders use this style driveshaft, is there a reason? Do they viberate?
There are not a lot of us T-85 people still around. Nor transmissions neither.

That T-85 was probably originally installed in a vehicle that had a 2 piece driveshaft. The rear section had the slip spline at the center carrier bearing support.

Pull the transmission yoke and fit a proper slip yoke and you will be ok. Standard driveshaft rules then apply.

·
Footstomper
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are they worth, I do not know the condition of the transmission. Once, I bought a six cylinder chevy muncie with overdrive, I asked the owner what he would take for it and he said 85 dollars, and I asked if I could look in the tailshaft and he said that I could but it would cost 150., he said you can gamble or not. I gambled and came out all right.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
the 400 use slip or fixed either, same
you can use a slip yoke on a fixed shaft

but not the other way around unless you drill and tap threads for the fixed bolt

in which were not done unless they were oriignally fixed yoke

on a T85 i have no idea, or what spline they are

if they are 27 then you shoudl be able to use any slip yoke off a th350 or 700r4 or 3 speed or 4 speed side loader and whatever

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.