Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 34 Plymouth Coupe almost completed and am getting ready to install the rubber mat on the running boards. Any suggestions about adhesives. What are your opinions on bedliner spray for them? Im not really a fan of it but have had several people suggest it

·
put up or shut up
3,138 Posts
I'd do the rubber mats. The last restoration job I worked at we did a lot of those cars and they all had rubber mats. I was in the back doing bodywork and metal so I couldn't tell you what they used. I'm assuming 3m adhesive spray but couldn't tell you for sure, but I know we had a lot of cans of that stuff.

·
fat tire
492 Posts
go to your local hardware store and get a con of CONTACT CEMENT.
this stuff will bond just about everything
I have used it to glue carpet on the bottom of my hip boots for trout fishing.
the carpet always would wear out before it ever came loose

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Running board mats

I used countertop contact cement on the '39. Been on for several years and not one bit of peeling or lifting at the edge. Follow the instructions, apply to both surfaces and lay the rubber down. I used a little roller to ensure a complete bond. Biggest hurdle is putting it down in the correct position. You only get one chance at it.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Any good contact cement - not the non inflammable junk - will do the job. Scuff the steel running board as well as the rubber mat with at least 220 grit paper then go to it according to the directions on the can. My '31 boards are still staying together

·
fat tire
492 Posts
come to think of it, I used contact cement and a piece of an old tube to patch the tube in an old truck. still holdin air

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
contact cement painted on is what I used. I used some wood moulding for the curved edge and clamped it to hold the rubber down. You could use vinyle top adhesive I suppose but expensive and hard to get. Also maybe experiment with some 3m 77 ?:welcome:

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,312 Posts
Do some homework, I believe 3M 90 is the strongest. All I know is FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! I believe it's spray both pieces then let flash off and spray another coat before sticking them together. If used properly you could just about mount the friggin fenders to the car with that stuff!

But do your homework and be sure that the 90 is the strongest.

Brian

Reactions: Fjobe

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Do some homework, I believe 3M 90 is the strongest. All I know is FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! I believe it's spray both pieces then let flash off and spray another coat before sticking them together. If used properly you could just about mount the friggin fenders to the car with that stuff!

But do your homework and be sure that the 90 is the strongest.

Brian

Brian - that 3M spray contact cement did not work for me and cost me the price of a second set of 'board covers. I try to buy anything but 3M products these days after less that great experiences from tapes to sealers to cements plus they cost way more. I used common Home Depot DAP if I need contact cement.

Dave W

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,312 Posts
Brian - that 3M spray contact cement did not work for me and cost me the price of a second set of 'board covers. I try to buy anything but 3M products these days after less that great experiences from tapes to sealers to cements plus they cost way more. I used common Home Depot DAP if I need contact cement.

Dave W
Wow, I have not had that sort of thing happen. But I haven't used it on something like a running board either though so I sure can't say.

Brian

Reactions: Fjobe
1 - 11 of 11 Posts