Hot Rod Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
My guess is your doing this in the truck.

Pulling the fan, the shroud, and the radiatior will make this a much easier job. You should be able to leave the AC fully connected just be mindful of the lines when your taking the other stuff off.

If you dont have a AC condenser installed then the grill comes off fast and you can turn the puller with some extensions sitting on your butt or a bucket. Much easier then on your back or leaned over the hood.

I would shoot the balancer and area around the bolt with a healty dose of pentrating lubricant a day or so before tearings apart. Then once the bolt is removed shoot the pressed area around the balancer and wait a hour before pulling.

·
Registered
15,622 Posts
Looks like fuel to me, dryer than oil. You get similar colors but oil is always oily where excess fuel is dry to the touch unless it engine is absolutely swimming in it.

A comment I failed to finish from an earlier remark about blowers and intake valve stem wear was just that the pressure in the intake when the blower is over atmospheric is that it tends to blow lube out of the stem to guide clearance which runs it guide dryer than it needs to be which increases mostly guide wear but can also do the same to the hard chromed valve stems. A similar thing happens on the exhaust side but this is compensated with a bit more clearance. With that thought in mind motors running some form of mechanical super charge whether turning the compressor off the crank, an electric motor, or exhaust driven turbine such engines can benefit from a hair more clearance on the intake and exhaust than what is considered normal.

Bogie

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Looks like fuel to me, dryer than oil. You get similar colors but oil is always oily where excess fuel is dry to the touch unless it engine is absolutely swimming in it.

A comment I failed to finish from an earlier remark about blowers and intake valve stem wear was just that the pressure in the intake when the blower is over atmospheric is that it tends to blow lube out of the stem to guide clearance which runs it guide dryer than it needs to be which increases mostly guide wear but can also do the same to the hard chromed valve stems. A similar thing happens on the exhaust side but this is compensated with a bit more clearance. With that thought in mind motors running some form of mechanical super charge whether turning the compressor off the crank, an electric motor, or exhaust driven turbine such engines can benefit from a hair more clearance on the intake and exhaust than what is considered normal.

Bogie
Man, I love this forum. Seriously. Between you, Johnson grass and bunch of other folks on here I’ve never met a more competent group of people in one place. Even more so a competent groups willing to help all the time. So, thank y’all!

Im on a Facebook groups called “building an SBC/bbc from the ground up.” I’m just gunna say I’ve learned to not ask questions there! 😂 One guy told me to run thicker oil lol.

I took the carb off and immediately noticed oil sitting right below/around where it sits on the supercharger. There was oil sitting on the supercharger rotors also. I went ahead and pulled the supercharger off and there’s clearly a bunch of oil sitting on top of the lower intake. Prior to this I did disconnect the PCV and let it breath to atmosphere. It still smoked but I didn’t let it run very long. Other than the PCV I have no idea where it could be coming from? MaybeI just didn’t let it run long enough to clear out the oil that may have be drawn in by the PCV? There’s no oil in the supercharger that I’m aware of. Just gear oil. It does have a catch can installed. It had some oil in it but not much.

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Might be the PCV, intake gaskets or intake valve seals.
Most likely the PCV.
Could you explain how the oil would go upwards? Meaning if it were the intake gaskets or the valve seal how would the supercharger suck the oil up? Seems like it would take quite a vacuum to suck the oil from the valve seals or lifter valley. Isn’t the supercharger pushing air downward all the time? I guess maybe it could be just slinging it around?

It does have baffles in the valve covers, the PCV is on the passenger side and the breather on the driver side.

·
Registered
15,622 Posts
Haven’t really thought of it till you asked how oil could go upwards then I thought maybe the 177 itself is leaking oil and is in need of the seal kit which I think is Weiand part number 9593.

Bogie

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Haven’t really thought of it till you asked how oil could go upwards then I thought maybe the 177 itself is leaking oil and is in need of the seal kit which I think is Weiand part number 9593.

Bogie
Isn’t it just gear oil? Not motor oil that’s in the supercharger? This is definitely motor oil.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Product Cylinder Camera accessory Auto part Font

What do y'all think of something like this? Running the ventilation using the exhaust instead of the engine vacuum? Is there a better way for a supercharged set up?

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
If you have a valve open(bent pushrod, damaged seat, spring broke and keeping valve open, rocker damage, etc) when the cylinder fires that will eventually wear out the valve seal. Then your pushing that combustion wave partially into the rocker cover each time the engine fires. Having no where else to go oil is pushed through the pcv.

My last 2.5 had a pool of oil due to a bent pushrod keeping the valve open.

Lawnmower to big block engines it happens. Pool of oil inside the air cleaner is a good sign.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I took everything and cleaned it real well. I made sure you the intake bolts were snug also. My plan a to put the plugs back in and run it without the PCV hooked up. Just let it run at idle. I’ll just vent to atmosphere. Then I can see if the smoke subsides or continues. Then I can remove the carb again and check inside the blower. If there’s oil again at least that rules out the PCV.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
No go. Of course. That would be too easy. With everything cleaned out and put back together it's still smoking with PCV disconnected. It does take about 5 minutes to start smoking everytime. If I shut it off and let it cool down, then restart it, it'll take 3-5 minutes before it smokes.

Gotta figure out a good way to test the intake gasket. I cant really smoke test it if its leaking from the lifter valley. It won't show any smoke. I'm going to rig up a gauge to try and check crankcase pressure. I'm worried that because the balancer has spun the ignition timing could have been way off and I damaged maybe a ringland or something.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,942 Posts
Yes sir, vacuum at idle. But with the supercharger always spinning, isn’t it pushing air downward? Not enough to build positive pressure of course, but pushing it downward none the less.
Yes and partly no.
The piston is also pushing air up, back through the valves so in realty, air is being pushed to and from the ports. Air movement is very chaotic inside the plenum.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Maybe time for a compression and leakdown.

I would get the timing nailed down and then drive it some, get some heat in it and give it some hard throttle a few times.
Compression tested fine. 145-150 on all cylinders. I did that the first time I took the plugs out. I did not do a leakdown test but I definitely can. What throws me off is how all the spark plugs are showing oil on them. Makes me want to believe its just one main issue. Intake gasket etc.

I did pull the supercharger back off. Again a bunch of fluid coating the intake. What is weird is this almost rubber like stuff in it also. Its not hard at all like carbon, you can rub it between your fingeres and it will kind of mush together. I'm going to take the carb apart too just to see. Maybe something in the carb is coming apart and its fuel, not oil. Very hard to smell the substance on the intake. There's nothing like it in the fuel filter, so I can't see how it would be coming through the fuel line.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 77 Posts