Hot Rod Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Spin the rotor by hand and look at the leading edge's of the rotor where it seals at the case.
If it had the teflon you should see black residue where it was moulded onto the rotor with may be some of the teflon still attached.
Greg

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
No evidence of Teflon that I can see, but I took the intake off and it’s pretty clearly sucking up oil! Not sure how good it shows in the pictures but the gasket is soaked. Passenger side worse than the driver, just like the plugs and the exhaust smoke indicated!

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
looking at your picture's and wondering what type of gasket's you are useing.
I never liked the print o seal gasket's. On your first picture I will assume it is the intake and it look's like you have a gasket mismatch. Makes me wonder if the blower is pulling oil out of the valley into the induction track.
Greg

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
looking at your picture's and wondering what type of gasket's you are useing.
I never liked the print o seal gasket's. On your first picture I will assume it is the intake and it look's like you have a gasket mismatch. Makes me wonder if the blower is pulling oil out of the valley into the induction track.
Greg
Seems to be a lot of opinions on intake gaskets lol some folks really like the ones with the seal around the port and some don't. These are the ones recommened by Promaxx for these heads. The first picture is the intake. There is essentially a port mismatch. The ports on the supercharger intake are smaller than the ones on the heads. I was told that using the ones for the larger ports is the correct choice? It does seem that it moved a little off center, though, when I installed it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You are right on gasket opinion's. In our shop's there is all ways a small arguement about what type of gasket's the mechanic's prefer.
I think I would try to get a better match on my gaskets to the head and intake.
I could be wrong not being there but I am starting to think that the gasket's might be some of your problem's.
Greg

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
You are right on gasket opinion's. In our shop's there is all ways a small arguement about what type of gasket's the mechanic's prefer.
I think I would try to get a better match on my gaskets to the head and intake.
I could be wrong not being there but I am starting to think that the gasket's might be some of your problem's.
Greg
Yea its unfortunate that the gasket matches the heads perfectly, but the runners for the intake are a lot smaller. There isn't enough meat there to even try to gasket match the intake. I'm certainly open to suggestions on a different gasket to use?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I went back and looked at your picture's again and I don't see how the intake could seal with that much of a mis match. What is the measurement of the port's in the intake and the head.
Looks like you have the wrong intake for the heads you are using.
If they are close enough I do have an ideal but don't know if it will work on a boosted engine.
When I have a problem like your's I use TA-31 gasket sealer.
It is made by Ford and the last tube I bought was $32.00 so it isn't cheap.
Ford use's it on their turbo diesel's.
I have had success using it with 600+ Hp na motor's.
Just an ideal and I don't want you to do it unless you think it would help. I know it is a lot of work and might not work.
Greg

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I know they sell thicker intake gaskets for when folks have a hard tme getting the intake to seal, but I cant see how they would really help in this scenario.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah
That doesn't look like a Weiand intake. Not sure what you have.
If you have the part's you could go back to an na with a carb and see how your truck run's.
Drive it a few days and see what happen's.
If it does the same thing then I am not sure where to go with it.
If it was here we could figure it out.
Greg

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Yeah
That doesn't look like a Weiand intake. Not sure what you have.
If you have the part's you could go back to an na with a carb and see how your truck run's.
Drive it a few days and see what happen's.
If it does the same thing then I am not sure where to go with it.
If it was here we could figure it out.
Greg
It is unfortunately a weiand intake. Says weiand in it lol. I’m gunna go back with these gaskets again and see what happens. If there was enough material on it I would truly and gasket match the runners. There’s not near enough meat in the bone!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Camera lens Camera accessory Reflex camera Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera Cameras & optics

Just in case y’all are curious. The old balancer came off at 20 degrees short of what the new one reads!! Meaning when I thought I was running 34 degrees I was only running 14 lol. Honestly who knows when it spun, though. Maybe it was right when initially set the timing. Sure would be cool if I was actually only running 14 degrees or so. Lots or power left on the table. Of course I’ll verify the new timing marks with true TDC and a piston stop.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Well, the intake gasket's held for about 3 days of normal driving. No smoke at all. Finally got on it a little bit on the way to work this morning and it was smoking again when I got to the shop.

I'm going to try either a 1206s3 (1206 with a steel insert) or a 1266 which is just a .120" thick gasket. The block was machined and the piston to deck height is .10. Heads have never been milled and the weiand intake is stock. Maybe the intake to head geometry is off.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts