Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently taking diesel tech in community college. A few weeks ago eaton gave a class on rebuilding transmissions. All the the students and some mechanics from peterbuilt and international were also taking the class. I was talking to them and they said that I would start out at $13-$14 an hour at dealerships. That sounds pretty good to me but I figured I would see what mechanics were making in your area

·
bentwings
2,608 Posts
Just a little rant here. I have over 20 quotes to paint my 41 Willys. They range from $4500 to $20k. All are quoting about the same for paint, either about $1000-1200 for BC/CC and $2000 for HOK. They also say about 100 hours of prep and paint time. The one high end guy said about 125 hours. This car is glass and very smooth no mold seams, door,hood and trunk fit nice and all are removavble by one person and 5 tools. I only want a simple one color no flames or stripes. I'll probably never enter an indoor show and I usually only sit around at outdoor shows for a couple hours at best. I plan of driving it a lot. I have over 500 miles in the last week and a half and it rained 4 days.

My vote is; go to school and learn paint and body work. Start your own shop. Make a killing.

I did have my clutch replaced in my truck at an independent transmission shop as I don't have a shop large enough to get the truck in.. $100 an hour. He only charged me 4 hours to r&r the NV4500, replace the input shaft and entire clutch and resurface the flywheel. I think the mech got 40% flat rate at his shop so the guy must have hustled to make it on this one.

I worked as a line mech at a small shop for 7 years and got 40% of the labor. Most of time I scored pretty well especially if I could work on more than one car or truck at a time. Take one apart, order parts and get into the second one while waiting for parts. You have to juggle your time sheets to figure it out but if you are a go getter you can do well. If you can work after hours you can even do better. I tripled my hourly wage the first week I started on flat rate.

Think of what you could make painting. haha

You need to get all the certs possible and stay up to date. AC service is very good too. I'd go with trucks and heavy equipment today if I was to do it over. Plan on eventually starting or getting your own shop and let the young guys work for you.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
old fords said:
I am currently taking diesel tech in community college. A few weeks ago eaton gave a class on rebuilding transmissions. All the the students and some mechanics from peterbuilt and international were also taking the class. I was talking to them and they said that I would start out at $13-$14 an hour at dealerships. That sounds pretty good to me but I figured I would see what mechanics were making in your area

That is probably flat rate.Through the years I have made as much as 120 hours a week and as little as 18 hours a week.
What you make at a dealership has very little to do with how much you know or how hard you work.............it,s politics,how well do you know the service manger or the dispatcher????
I got out of it a year ago and do not plan on going back.

·
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw
682 Posts
redlightning said:
That is probably flat rate.Through the years I have made as much as 120 hours a week and as little as 18 hours a week.
What you make at a dealership has very little to do with how much you know or how hard you work.............it,s politics,how well do you know the service manger or the dispatcher????
I got out of it a year ago and do not plan on going back.
I work at a dealership now and know how bad dispatching is. Its soooo much nicer now that its all computer dispatched. I make 21 an hour but I know a dealership close by thats looking for a diesel guy for 36 an hour. Makes me wish I kept working on them.

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
Wow, techs sure don't get much south of the border. My start is $24 CAD + bonuses on straight time. I know of a couple dealerships that are around $45-$50 straight, but you have to deal with warrenty and dealership politics, and too far for me to drive every day. Diesel techs in the heavy truck/equipment sector make more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a small shop with 3 Mechanic and myself. I have one ASE Master He started out at 20 a hour now makes 22.50. The other two have 1 ASE each. Started them at 15.00 they make 16.50 now. The more ASE you have the more pay you get.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A.S.E. Automotive Service Excllence I feel if a Technican takesthe time to pass all 8 of the test and become a master Tech. he should be rewarded with better Pay. As do others in our field. It showns the tech. has the commitment and the drive to be the best he or she can be in the Automotive Filed.

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
wretched ratchet said:
????? A S E ?????
I refuse to pay, to prove I can pass their Test's, and then have to pay again 4 years later!!!!!!!!?????????

I have 4 auto repair shop owners, that bring me vehicles for diagnosis, that they can't figure out. I know for a fact, 3 of them are ASE Master certified Tech's, and they only employ ASE certified mechanics.

I am currently working for 50% commission, with the Shop rate of $86 per hour. That is $43 per hour pay.

Automotive Service Excellence Certification proves nothing to me.

·
one full turn after it squeeks
1,173 Posts
carsavvycook said:
I refuse to pay, to prove I can pass their Test's, and then have to pay again 4 years later!!!!!!!!?????????

I have 4 auto repair shop owners, that bring me vehicles for diagnosis, that they can't figure out. I know for a fact, 3 of them are ASE Master certified Tech's, and they only employ ASE certified mechanics.

I am currently working for 50% commission, with the Shop rate of $86 per hour. That is $43 per hour pay.

Automotive Service Excellence Certification proves nothing to me.
this is interesting stuff - - especailly to a novice non-pro anything :D

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
old fords,

Personally I did not choose to work at a dealership ever. This being because I hate working on the same type of vehicle day in, and day out. :nono:

This would be the same, as working at a oil change place. :nono:

When I first started out, I was taking Automotive ROP in High School. I would work at that Mobil gas station for 4 hours for school, then go on his payroll. I also did a lot of side work, for friends, neighbor's, people from our Church, etc.........

Keep the communication lines open to each and every one. They know other people, that you may not, that will need your services at one time, or another.

I also have been involved in the Racing circles, and got to know a lot of very intelligent people there. Take as much information as you can from them.

Also, If you have to borrow a tool 4 times, plan on buying one. Co-workers will appreciate it. Set a little money aside each week for these type of purchases.

Lastly, Take notes on every job you work on, and pay attention to detail on every one. Wipe off greasy hand prints, use fender covers, etc...... People take special notice of this! The notes are your own experiences, that you can refer back to later in life.

Stephen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Up here in the Connecticut area I know that depending on the dealership or garage and your experience, auto mechanics are making from $15.00 to $35.00 per hour. Some places that I know pay a combination of hourly plus commission that can pump the number even higher depending on the place and type of vehicle they service.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Over here in Iraq, anywhere from 23000 and up.

I'll make about 55000 by the end of this year, but thats counting all the extra pays. But the bonus is that its tax free and there are no real bills while you're here.

Stateside I will pull about 38000 a year, but that is with 3 years of Service.

I like it, and best of all I have job security...lol, but I'm on call 24 hours a day 365 days a year, at any location in the world.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
carsavvycook said:
the Shop rate of $86 per hour. That is $43 per hour pay.

It's about the same here..Some shops more,, Some shops less... ;)

Mechanics make a good living here... ;) Well I do have to say its all good here.. Lots of work,, And a lot of people from just about every state.. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a friend who works at a Cadillac Dealership. He gets payed $16-17 Flat-Rate Hour, and $6.50 per hour if he is just standing around not working. He's only been working full-time for a year, since he graduated tech school.

Like some other people suggested Diesel Techs, & Collision Techs can make better money than regular mechanics. I'm learning how to do bodywork since you can make 6-figures pretty easily in any big or medium sized city. The money you make can really depend a lot on where you live, and what's available.

The ASE certification is bogus! Those test don't judge your work on vehicles! Of course it's all about the certification nowadays. It's good to get!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.