Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on updating the interior on my '37 Club Coupe with a build date of 2011. I need to add a lower dash panel, center console with cup holders and updated door and kick panels. We were thinking of adding a contrasting darker ostrich inserts in the seats (93 Honda Accord) and door panels but the interior guy I took it to today says that's out of style. He says that perforated leather/fabric is the way to go but that seems a little too sedate for a street rod. I'm thinking of something more dramatic that pops. What's in style these days? What are the current trends for seats, dashes and door panels? If I am going to do this, then I should bring it into 2023. What's your thoughts?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover Seat belt

This is from my '37 Ford tudor slanback done 3 years ago. All genuine leather including the ostrich skin inserts, we still love it. The car wasn't finished in this shot. I agree, don't worry what others say or think, do what you like. These are narrowed Acura seats by the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a job coming up as soon as the car show season is over. The guy wants Mexican Blanket upholstery, but done right not just thrown over the seats. Also the headliner.
I am a bit anxious to do this for a change.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 626193
This is from my '37 Ford tudor slanback done 3 years ago. All genuine leather including the ostrich skin inserts, we still love it. The car wasn't finished in this shot. I agree, don't worry what others say or think, do what you like. These are narrowed Acura seats by the way.
I like it Bill3337. Like the ostrich inserts. My seats are similar - out of a '93 Honda Accord. Very comfortable.

·
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
1,144 Posts
RodsRus is correct. But to add to that I always thought that the interior should take on the personality of the car, no matter how "fancy". Here's my interpretation:

·
1,144 Posts
VERY, VERY NICE!! You must be an extremely patient person '49 Ford Coupe.
Well thanks, Reno.. I think I'm pretty lucky in that half of my German heritage came from my grandfather who is a South Texas cotton ginner he learned his trade as a kid and before his death in 1936 he owned and built five Cotton gins. My other grandfather was an architect and sculptor and violin player but I never got any of the music genes... I pretty much figured this is the last car I'm ever going to build and it took 8 years to do this one. The interior is the only thing I didn't personally do, as you could see if you scrolled my entire website.... Of course after 4 years I'm still tweaking the little things like everybody else does..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It sure looks like you did the majority of the fine work on the interior outside of the upholstery. You must have inherited your grandfather's engineering skills. That's the beauty of hot rodding - it brings out the engineering in all of us.

·
1,144 Posts
Yup, and it's no coincidence that the Swiss make fine watches, Hispanics can build things and black guys can jump and play basketball better than anybody else. You either have it or you don't. Of course there are exceptions, but generally speaking.........................................

·
Registered
156 Posts
Trends are just that....Trends. in 5-10 years people will look at your car and know when it was built. Traditional is forever, just like khaki pants and a button down shirt or blue jeans and a t shirt.

Just look at all the old cars with tweed interior next time you're at a car show. They are dated by their interior. Each to his own but you can do some neat things with color and texture (distressed, etc) that will give you an interior that will always look good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trends are just that....Trends. in 5-10 years people will look at your car and know when it was built. Traditional is forever, just like khaki pants and a button down shirt or blue jeans and a t shirt.

Just look at all the old cars with tweed interior next time you're at a car show. They are dated by their interior. Each to his own but you can do some neat things with color and texture (distressed, etc) that will give you an interior that will always look good.
Thanks Rockable. I agree and that's why I ask. Tweed cloth interiors date interiors just like certain modifications date the exterior like Frenched headlights.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts