Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All, Dan here - I'm brand new to the forum. I'm an estate liquidator and recently came across a nice lot of original window frames. I believe these are Ford Coupe frames from the 30's or 40's. 2 of the frames appear to be from front doors while the other 4 are rear windows. I have measurements for each which I will post if you would like. Can you please tell me - 1) what car exactly these might be for and 2) what I should try to sell them for. Thank you in advance for your help...

NOTE: I've created an album in my profile with additional photos.

Attachments

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,312 Posts
Generally speaking those frames are close to worthless because every single car had them, and VERY few would get damaged......so most people with the car it fits would have no reason to buy another set. AND most cars that are too damaged by rust or what ever that are parted out they are removed so there are more frames than cars to put them on.

Brian

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see Brian - you make a good point. What about a rear window? Just the glass? I also have a pane, slightly curved that appears to be from a 30's/40's coupe.

·
16,312 Posts
I can't see any other photos of yours. I go to your profile and there is nothing there. Can you just post them in a post?

Brian

·
16,312 Posts

·
16,312 Posts
Personally I think if you put them on ebay for $5 they wouldn't get a bid.

Brian

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,279 Posts
Personally I think if you put them on ebay for $5 they wouldn't get a bid.

Brian
I think you would be very surprised. Those garnish moldings are in demand for CERTAIN models, especially coupes. They get damaged and lost over the years. If I needed all the moldings for my '38 business coupe, I would have a very hard time finding them and would spend in the neighborhood of $100 EACH for them. Again, that is a low production car but there may well be a market for clean, straight moldings.

He does need to know the exact make and model to properly advertise them.

·
16,312 Posts
You may be right, but when I see 48 of them on ebay at one time for as little as $25 (right now) in my experience of selling thousands of items on ebay there isn't much chance of getting more than half or so what one of them are going for unless you put them in a store and leave them there for months. Of course if it's a coupe and these others aren't then maybe the quarter ones may go for more. But that is a lot of them to be on at once. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1948+ford+window+frame&_nkw=1948+ford+window+frame&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Brian

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,783 Posts
His first pic looks like the top of a door which would be in great demand for someone doing a top chop and wanting a couple of bits to weld in.

·
16,312 Posts
Nope, they are just window frames with the wing window in them, that's how they were made.

Brian

Reactions: 123pugsy

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Brian you can tell you don't live in the Northern part of the states. Up here windows get broke, rain and snow get inside the car rust eats window frame.

Just the same with drop tops, top goes floor boards go. We still get rain and snow here, plus the state helps the rust out with salt.

I know what you are saying, out there they are useable here maybe not so much.:nono::nono::nono:

Bob

·
16,312 Posts
You are right, I know nothing about that area of the country. I am just talking "realistically" and what I found on ebay supports that they aren't worth much. Are they worth "something", heck yes but they just aren't a treasure like many other parts would be. There are lots of parts that are very commonly damaged, like grills and rear body panels, then there are parts that commonly get tossed in the garbage like original aircleaners and smog pumps, lots of times those are very valuable. But parts that every single car has and are one of the last things that would get damaged or tossed, the value is much lower.

I am not saying I know it all about everywhere in the country, just some basics on parts demand and price. I could be very wrong, but when I look at ebay, it supports what I am saying. It is after all not just in the SF bay area, ebay is even more than country wide, it is world wide. So it kinda sets the price for world wide demand not just what I experience in my home town but all over the earth! And I have shipped things all over the earth selling through ebay, it's pretty amazing really.

Brian

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Most guys I know don't do e-bay they go to swap meets and look in want ads. or put an ad in the Line Chaser, Our monthly news letter, or maybe Craigs list.

Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts