Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone noticed the new triple carb setup from barry grant?

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=210026&prmenbr=361

Call me crazy but is the nostalgic look and theoretical 13 hp and 12lbfttq gain really worth roughly $1700 over a standard rpm intake and demen 650?

I am still having trouble understanding this marketing attempt, were they just bored or are there people out there looking to spend money for the %^** of it?

Just wondering what everyone thought

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No, as in why in the hell would someone spend roughly $1700 more to get a modern nostalgic look and "potentially" gain 13 hp and 12 ftlbtq. Thats why I used the term nostalgic look, I know the concept isn't new, well that and it says it in the advertisement. :)

Probably asking the wrong crowd, as I would imagine a true hotrodder would go to any length to get a certain look.

Personally it doesn't matter if I can comfortably afford something or not, it has every thing to do with the bottom line and what I am actually getting and I couldn't justify the $2300 for a carb(s) and intake "system".

All about perspective I suppose.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Some people have plenty of cash to throw at their cars and will gladly pay that money so they can have something most others won't.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Cashwise....

Doc here:

Jeeze, I don't know, fur $2500 Bucks , I'd rather throw a small "Huffer" at it... and It would still look awesome.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ghetto Jet said:
Some people have plenty of cash to throw at their cars and will gladly pay that money so they can have something most others won't.

Yeah your right but on my side of the fence, if I am shelling out the big bucks for the latest and greatest, the hp increase ratio should be better than $130 per hp gained...maybe I expect too much or I am not easily distracted by the shiny stuff? :)

docvette said:
Doc here:

Jeeze, I don't know, fur $2500 Bucks , I'd rather throw a small "Huffer" at it... and It would still look awesome.

Doc :pimp:

:thumbup: Finally, someone that understands.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
killerformula said:
not to mention you only get those gains if all three of your carbs are in perfect sync....

K

Exactly...more likely than not the average joe isn't gonna wanna try and syncronize the setup themselves and shell out even more to have it done.

Another thought, the first time I saw that setup was on american hot rod, they tried to put them on a vortec headed small block and found out real quick it wasn't gonna happen, after some modification to the intake they did get it to work...aparently that inspired a change in the design, as the link I posted claims they will work with standard or vortec heads.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
I think you will find that the show car/hot rod crowd are the ones that will buy something like this as it is getting away from/different than what you see everyday.

Some guys are into strictly cheap speed, others the awe factor when you open the hood. I am of the latter persuasion as I like older LINC-MERCS.

A setup like this...

...could easily come to two/tree thousand bucks to duplicate. The dedicated air cleaner asm. (alone) for this setup (58 LINC) just sold on E-Bay for about six grand.

A setup like this...

...could easily come to a like amount, other than a dedicated air cleaner asm. for this setup (58 MERC) just sold for eight hundred fifty dollars. The rocker covers shown are even more rare.

So you have to consider all different persuasions that are in this hobby (or lifestyle).

Now, the below is more in my price range...

:thumbup:

Am Looking For Factory/Aftermarket Speed Parts For The MEL (Merc-Edsel-Linc-TBird) Engine Family (383-410-430-462) Produced From 1958 To 1968

Also Early FORD Special Service Tools

-MEL Engine Forum-

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
Ya gotta remember 90% of most guys with SBCs would be best served with a 9:1 engine with a torque cam, some headers and a 600 vac. sec. carb. Yet they are willing to spend a whole lot of money on crap they really don't need. This is just another example.

tom

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
what were they thinking

course you can always do it the broke white trash way I did and build your own 3 x2 intake cuz no one else makes one for your engine. I used the lower half of a TPI intake from a 351 winsor truck engine and fabricated my own plenum chamber for it, using 3 Ford 2 bbl carbs. Havent had opportunity to run it yet as dont have the engine in a car now. May not run any better than it does with the edelbrock performer and 600 cfm Holley but its sure got to look a lot meaner, and different.

By the way, I did this just for the heck of it. Just to see if I could do it. Isnt that what hotrodding is all about?

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
keith, that's really cool. if you could post some pics, that would be really cool. i'd like to see that thing!

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
I used the lower half of a TPI intake from a 351 winsor truck engine and fabricated my own plenum chamber for it
You used the lower intake from a 5.8L EFI? Won't that give you a single plane intake for the street?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
what where they thinking?

The plenum I designed is a single unit and what Ive made is essentially a very short runnered tunnel ram with 3 dueces. Like I said, I havent had opportunity to run this critter yet and not even sure if it will pan out to be worth the effort Ive put into it, but being a back yard engineer of sorts, it was a fun project, just to build it. The plenum internal dimensions are 15 3/4" x 3 3/4" x 1 1/2". It bolts directly to the top of the ports on the intake using the existing 6 bolt holes from the factory. When I get around to getting closer to using it on a running engine, I will use epoxy to fill in the plenum, sculpting it so that the sides of the plenum will act like a funnel, feeding the fuel, air mixture to the runners. This will also effectively reduce the size of the plenum and increase the fuel/ air volocities, hopefully, decreasing problems of low end stumble and loss of power. I have to admit that the carborators I am using arent the preferred choice, but those are what I happen to have in my inventory of junk. My preffered would have been to use 3 rochester or carter 2 bbls, mainly due to their compactness in size, but that would have added a lot of additional expense to the project, and Im not all that up to speed on those brands of carbs anyway.

·
Technical Support Barry Grant
1,500 Posts
What are they thinking?

We came out with our 3x2 Six-Shooter systems because there was a demand for it. We were already going to make 2bl carburetors, so the only additional cost was designing the intake manifold.

As far as the American Hot Rod Show there was miscommunication, they didn't realize the engine they were using had Vortec heads on it. We offer a different intake manifold for the Vortec headed SBC, that was not available at that time.

We can not build these systems fast enough, due to the demand for them we're working on developing systems for SB Ford engines, BBC, and Pontiacs, as well as replacement carburetors for Chrysler applications.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
what where they thinking?

The lower half of a 351W TPI is runners. There is no plenum in the lower half.
By the way, I have less than $100 in this whole project, and since Im not made of money, I am doing it myself. And I figure if it does work out, then its not really been a waste of time or money.
Currently my Desk top pc is down but I will take some pix of the intake as it is at this point, and post them.
The linkage will require some fabrication as well. While I do have that part down on paper, I havent worked on it since the whole project had to take a back seat to other pressing matters.
In my opinion, this is what hot rodding is all about. At least thats the school of thought I grew up with. If its not available, or you cant afford whats on the market. Make your own.
Thats how Vic Edlebroack and the rest of them started. Not that I am interested in starting my own business.
And for Machine Shop Tom, I am so glad that people like you are in a very small minority, otherwise nothing in the world would have ever been accomplished. I dont appreciate my efforts being called crap, especially by someone full of crap.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
what were they thinking about?

I got the pix taken today but my desk top pc is in the shop and my scanner doesnt work on my lap top, so it will be next week when I get them posted. I do appreciate your interest 357 Ford. Read back in the text of the my previous entry and it specifically has a message to the person that called my idea crap.
For further developement, I will run my throttle linkage to the center carb and the out boards will be run off of linkage from the center one. I will use a 2:1 linkage ratio, with a sliding rod and stop on it. This will allow me to run the center carb at half throttle before the outboards kick in. This linkage will be mounted on the rt side of the carbs. With the 2:1 linkage ratio, this will bring the out boards in play when I go over half throttle and then all three carbs will be completely open at full throttle. The outboard carbs will have their power valves replaced with plugs, since they wont be necessary for anything but wide open throttle. Speaking of 3 duece setups, I had them on a 53 merc flathead and on a 61 Ford 390. Both ran well. I guess I was lucky in getting them to work together way back then.
To KULTULZ, yes it will be a single plenum intake, but the plenum volumn area will be no larger than that of a conventional dual quad intake, if that large.

The total cfm with my 3 dueces is 860.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts