Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I stripped the paint off of my hood I found a bunch of surface rust. So I went to the store and bought some naval jelly and applied it and scrubbed it with a metal brush. When I cleaned the jelly off, the rust was gone but inside of the pitting was these tiny little black spots. I then applied more naval jelly and scrubbed it again, but it did nothing. What are these little blacks spots in the pitting??? Is it more rust, or is it carbon in the steel, or could it be paint. The hood has been painted four times in the past, so could have somebody spayed paint on these rust spots at one time. I know that the naval jelly won't even affect these little black spots. Does anybody know what it is and how I can get rid of it before I spray down a coat of epoxy primer.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm not sure what the technical term is...I call it "rust staining"

I have similar issues with the sheet metal on my Hudson. I had the pieces media blasted and the tiny pits or "staining" are areas that are too small for the media to penetrate.

I've only seen acid dipping or grinding that got these out completely.

For my 49 I opted to use Eastwoods rust inhibitive primer as my first coat primer. I'm not sure how it will all work out but so far the primer has held well in these "staining" areas.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I took a dremel with a tiny round nose bit and dug those little black spots out. Most of them had red rust underneath. It does leave a pit to be filled but I'd rather fill a pit than put an expensive paint job over them and take a chance on them coming back through the paint. This is a non-professional opinion so I could be wrong.

Danny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts