Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into rebuilding my first th350 and was wondering what you guys were using for a tranny stand. I have seen the ones that look like a big C-clamp that looks like it would mount up to an engine stand. I don't know who sells these though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
yes that is the GM tranny fixture it actually mounts to a base that yu bolt to a bench...they are around 170 bucks very good to have if you are planning on doing trannies. I have used old 41te cases or 604 I have also used 5 gallon buckets with a hole bored into the top of it back in my learning days :)

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
If I'm doing my usual Ford C4 - the bell housing is a separate piece - then it's just my phenolic work bench top and a few wood blocks as that is about as light an auto trans ever made. A C6 or TH350/400, then I'll improvise with saw horses and 2x4's. Not the best, but my transmission work ---- seldom, thankfully :D

Dave W

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
727 or 904 case turned upside down for a rear wheel drive. for a front wheel drive trans, depending on the builder or shop, either a fixture like mentioned above is used or they drill a hole in the bench and use a nut and bolt on the face of the case (depending on which trans) through 1 of the bellhousing holes and bolt it to the bench.

·
Registered
191 Posts
When I rebuilt the 350 in my truck I used a roll of duct tape (4x4 transmission, the output shaft is real short) when I needed to stand it on end. For dis-assembly and cleaning I "built" a work table using a pair of saw horses, some 3/4" plywood, and a metal drip pan with a hole drilled in a corner for a drain (with a bucket underneath). Worked extremely well for my needs, and the table was even strong enough to handle the cleaning needs of a SBC 350.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
5 gallon plastic bucket with a flex plate sitting on top of the bucket is something I used for about 2 decades till I actually bought a trans case holding fixture

·
Registered
23 Posts
With all the dealerships going out of business around the country, the availability of normally expensive tools is considerable. I have been able to purchase an engine hoist, hydraulic press, commercial grade parts washer and a Ford style bench fixture that I have used for C4's, T5's and 9 inch carriers. I got everything for $400. Could have had a 4 post lift for $800 but didn't have the room ( down in Louisiana they can't go outdoors).

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,313 Posts
I made one out of scrap steel and welded an allthread union (long nut) on the one side and a piece of tubing on the other. The tubing slides into an engine stand and I use a bolt in the threads to clamp in the tranny.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.