Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I would start a thread to see what kind of ailments people live with on a day to day basis. Also, what kind of medications do you have to take?

I have:
Crohns disease
Ulcerative Colitis
Interstitial Cystitis
Arthritis

Crohns is a chronic immune system disease that causes your body to attack any part of your digestive tract. There is no cure.

Ulcerative Colitis is just like Crohns only your body just attacks your colon. It is a chronic disease and there is no cure.

Interstitial Cystitis is like Crohns disease of your bladder. This one is also chronic with no cure.

Here is my daily med regiment:
*Prednisone (a steroid)
*Asacol (anti-inflammatory)
*Ditropan (helps stop the urge to urinate)
*Elmiron (It is for my bladder condition)
*Elavil (an anti-depressant given for Interstitial Cystitis, it has nothing to do with depression, but somehow works for IC)
*Calcium with Vitamin D and K (necessary for long term steroid use)
*Vicodine (for occasional severe pain)

The good news is I work full time + overtime and still manage to live a somewhat normal life.

·
It just takes time and money
225 Posts
lluciano,

You are are much worse off than me..
Since I was a computer programmer for 25 years, I developed
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I had it operated on 5 years ago, it's okay now. The only other problem I have is getting older; everything else hurts more, everyday.

AngliaBob

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
i'm quite sure i have uncontrolled hypertension. screw it.

last time i went to the doctor, she ordered a slew of labwork, she never called back, neither did I.
I had my prostate checked twice :mwink: in the same visit!!! back in '96 by a filippino nurse practitioner. maybe she was a nurse proctologist? :p

and i still have that piece of glass in my finger that i went to see the doc about the last time.....that trip was a waste of money.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Lumbar Spondelosis.......(degenerative arthritis) of the spine. I take Lodine daily, a non-steroidal anti inflammatory. And hemmoroids!

And Gout, one of the most excruciatinly painfull afflictions known to mankind!

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
Lucciano,

I have LA disease. That's short for lard ***.

In all seriousness, I salute your vigor for all of those problems that you have.

You even find the energy to argue politics.

Good luck, and hats off to you and anyone out there that goes through life without good health. I've always taken it for granted.

Brian

·
Missing You
300 Posts
lluciano77 said:
*Vitamin D (necessary for long term steroid use)
Hmm, I'm interested in hearing more about this. I'm also on a daily dose of Prednisone (5mg) for my kidney transplant. I take a multi-vitamin, but I've never heard about the Vitamin D.

crazy larry said:
i'm quite sure i have uncontrolled hypertension. screw it.
Larry please have your blood pressure checked and get it under control. High BP is most likely what caused my kidneys to fail.

As far as me:
I was diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease at the age of 16. I was on dialysis from March of '95 under December of last year when I received my kidney transplant. I have other issues related to the years of dialysis, my bones and joints hurt, and I'm having problems with my heart.

I take CellCept and Prograf which basically kill my immune system and force my body to accept the kidney, then I take Prednisone (also related to the transplant.) Atenolol for my BP, Protonix for my stomach (because CellCept is hard on my stomach), a multi-vitamin, a baby aspirin (because I had a stroke in January of 2000.) And that's all. I'll be on these meds for the life of the kidney. (My one year anniversary is coming up soon, yay!)

Kidney transplant has been the best thing that's ever happened to me. My life sucked on dialysis, I couldn't do anything because I was always sick. And now even with my heart problem and chest pain, I feel great. I volunteer at a barn, I'm moving out soon, I work with a carriage business on the weekends and I'm going to school. :)

·
Administrator
18,426 Posts
Other than slight hypertension, which I take medication for, I have some problems with a little arthritis. I take Celebrex occaisionally for that. Thankfull for drug insurance.

Most of my friends my age have a lot more problems than I do, so I consider myself pretty lucky.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Wow luc, does not sound like alot of fun.

Not to rub it in or anything, but I dont really have any ailments. Perfectly health thus far unless you count allergy induced athsma. I work out 3-4 times a week in hopes of curbing hypertension, bloodpressure and other chronic diseases as long as I can. I need to start going for routine physicals, though. Just in case something is lurking waiting to cause me problems.

Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nothing really that I know of as of yet. My family has a very extensive history of breast cancer, although my doctor told me as long as I keep my weight below 130, I would have a better chance of not getting it.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Guess, I'm lucky from standpoint, I have no problems other than old age.

One thing I have learned that you younger folks need to think about is get in a daily routine fo some form of exercise before you get to old geezer status like myself (52)

Since 10th grade I have been 220-230 but always great physical shape, I have continued to work out at least an hour a day all these years. But found out when hit about 48, every morning it was harder and harder to get out of bed. Went on Atkins diet and got down to 195 and have been on hold every since. It was one of the best things I ever did.
It may be a little thin for my body 5'11 but I feel a whole lot better
in morning and have gained some speed back.
I did lose a little of my power, can't lift as much but I'm not a heavy lifter anyways, so no big deal.

You may think its a pain now while your young but walk or do lite weights and keep the fat off and it will make it easier when you get older. I'm looking for a deal on new cane!

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
I take medication for:

A Distorted Sense of Humor.

I've had it since childhood. If untreated, you experience facial hair growth in your teens, weight gain in your 40s, and (I've been told) grey hair in your 60s.

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
I have back problems, I take Viccodin and muscle relaxants when it gives me trouble. Those MRI's are too expensive to get, can't afford it with no insurance. The doctor thinks I have a herniated disc but he needs me to get a MRI to confirm it, other than this I have a warped sense of humor.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BigBlockBabe said:
Hmm, I'm interested in hearing more about this. I'm also on a daily dose of Prednisone (5mg) for my kidney transplant. I take a multi-vitamin, but I've never heard about the Vitamin D.

I'm sorry BBB, I meant Clacium with vitamin D and K. I take Viactiv. It is a women's chewable vitamin. The reason for the D and K is that they help absorb the calcium better.

MI2600 said:
I take medication for:

A Distorted Sense of Humor.

I've had it since childhood. If untreated, you experience facial hair growth in your teens, weight gain in your 40s, and (I've been told) grey hair in your 60s.
Michael Moore? Is that you?

·
Missing You
300 Posts
lluciano77 said:
I'm sorry BBB, I meant Clacium with vitamin D and K. I take Viactiv. It is a women's chewable vitamin. The reason for the D and K is that they help absorb the calcium better.
I kinda figured it went along with that because Prednisone can be/is hard on your bones. I've already got a mild bone disease from when I was on dialysis. I try to drink that Tropicana orange juice with the added Vitamin D and Calcium to also help.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts