Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
Joined
·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a little bit of antifreeze in my mouth the other day while I was under the white caprice. I was looking for the source of a coolant leak. I don't know how to discribe the taste, other than it was horrible.

I've also had the pleasure of tasting dirty motor oil, but who hasn't?

Thats pretty much it for me. I should have transmission fluid and gear lube checked off the list within a year or so.
 

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
Joined
·
846 Posts
Any and all,not by choice though.The only thing I tasted by choice was Loc-Tite.Advice,DO NOT TASTE Loc-Tite.it smells way better than it tastes. Diesel is by far the worst fluid to taste by mistake,next to brake fluid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Ghetto Jet said:
Used antifreeze is much more poisonous that fresh antifreeze. When was this kids funeral?
Several years ago some teenagers in one of the Alsakan coastal villages drank some antifreeze that was in a barrel that floated ashore. It killed a couple of them and the others went blind. I think it isn't uncommon for them to drink it but they usually filter it through a loaf of bread to make it not poison.

Over the years I have tasted it all, mostly by accident. Non of it good.
 

·
Just one of the guys
Joined
·
3,074 Posts
I think it isn't uncommon for them to drink it but they usually filter it through a loaf of bread to make it not poison.
AntiFreeze CANNOT be made non-poisonous. It states that right on the jug. The only anti-freeze that is non-fatal is the new "Animal Safe" brand and it will state that on the jug.

Used antifreeze is much more poisonous that fresh antifreeze
It all has the same level of toxicity. The only other thing that used anti-freeze will have in it is aluminum, iron, or traces of copper. and whatever else is ran thru your radiator and block.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Kevin45 said:
AntiFreeze CANNOT be made non-poisonous. It states that right on the jug. The only anti-freeze that is non-fatal is the new "Animal Safe" brand and it will state that on the jug.



It all has the same level of toxicity. The only other thing that used anti-freeze will have in it is aluminum, iron, or traces of copper. and whatever else is ran thru your radiator and block.
I have no first hand experience but the bread filter is what they do when they drink the stuff.
The most dangerous thing that used antifreeze would have over new is the lead from the solder in the radiators, which I am told is one of the main reasons the industry got away from soldered copper radiators, although I suspect more from the manufacturing regulations on the handling of lead thab the danger to consumers from it.
 

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
Joined
·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kevin45 said:
It all has the same level of toxicity. The only other thing that used anti-freeze will have in it is aluminum, iron, or traces of copper. and whatever else is ran thru your radiator and block.
You left out a big one, lead.

Ask any veterinarian, dirty antifreeze will kill an animal much fast than fresh antifreeze.
 

·
Just one of the guys
Joined
·
3,074 Posts
I have no first hand experience but the bread filter is what they do when they drink the stuff.
You cannot filter anti-freeze out in bread and drink it. Period. It is toxic no matter what the hell it is run thru. So DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. CHECK THIS and THIS and maybe try THIS Oh...AND THIS And HERE is one more. Now I would like to see where people are filtering it thru bread and drinking it. If it is done then I am majorily wrong and apologize to all.

WillowBilly...I went back thru and did some searching because I know that something was filtered thru bread and drank but it was not anti-freeze. It is Sterno (wood alcohol) that is used for camping fires. Iremember hearing it before that bums would light it. The gel would turn to liquid, then they would filter it thru bread to drink it. This would seperate the gel base from the wood alcohol. They would then toss the bread and drink the remains. Wood alcohol is also a killer although not as readily as antifreeze. Wood alcohol can cause blindness and if drank enough at a time, death. This is an excerpt from a search I did and ran across a bio called "The House"

After Emma passed away the house fell into disrepair and came to be thought of as haunted. Since the house was vacant and secluded, and it being the time of the great depression, it came to be occupied by a couple of "Canned Heat Bums" known as Pete and Stella Malone. They were called canned heat bums because they would buy wood alcohol known as "Sterno" (used in lamps) and after filtering it through bread would drink it. Pete and Stella took up residence in the house and were living there in 1928 when they were spotted by Mr. William Poelking ( Uncle Bill) as he was walking along the tracks going into town.

By the way...it is kind of an interesting bio if any one is interested. HERE
 

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
Joined
·
572 Posts
I personally like to keep a quart or 2 of Moonshine around the house....same effects, but tastes MUCH better.
Drinking antifreeze...sheeeesh....what the?!....drinking antifreeze?....hmmm....buy a beer. Hell if you are THAT desperate. STEAL A BEER! Antifreeze and bread.....HAHAHAHA....Nonpoisonous...HAHAHA!
Later,
WEIMER....antifreeze and bread....hahaha...oh well!
 

·
Be the MIRACLE!
Joined
·
363 Posts
Haven't drank it but have tasted antifreeze when it splashed on my lips at work, while working on a/c system. It's sweet but not worth drinking. Yechhhh! Have tasted gas too. Who hasn't if you've ever siphoned gas when you ran out. Have tasted kerosene. It was a backwoods remedy for the croup when I was a kid. A teaspoon of kerosne and sugar. Now that's nasty stuff. It's a wonder my parents and granparents didn't kill me with these backwoosds remedies. Geese!:drunk:
 

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
Joined
·
9,581 Posts
Grinnn

38 special said:
Haven't drank it but have tasted antifreeze when it splashed on my lips at work, while working on a/c system. It's sweet but not worth drinking. Yechhhh! Have tasted gas too. Who hasn't if you've ever siphoned gas when you ran out. Have tasted kerosene. It was a backwoods remedy for the croup when I was a kid. A teaspoon of kerosne and sugar. Now that's nasty stuff. It's a wonder my parents and granparents didn't kill me with these backwoosds remedies. Geese!:drunk:
Back woods remedies sure make ya want to get better don't they..!!
:nono:

OMT
 

·
Time is short, are you ready?
Joined
·
655 Posts
38chevysedan said:
im betting ive probably drank at least a gallon of diesel in my lifetime and i think ive had a little bit of everything else too
At 16 years old, when did you start? LOL.

BYW - It doesn't take much antifreeze to kill a dog or cat. I learned about that the hard way. Pulled my engine and was careless cleaning up the spills on the floor. One day later our cat seemed very lathergic. We had a test done and it confirmed antifreeze poisoning. Its kidneys were basically shutting down, and we had to put it to sleep.

Regarding the bread, I knew of a fellow who's dog was killed because a few punk kids soaked bread with antifreeze and fed it to neighborhood dogs. Needless to say, one of them couldn't help bragging about it and was later arrested.

Ed
 

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
Joined
·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
edge said:
BYW - It doesn't take much antifreeze to kill a dog or cat. I learned about that the hard way. Pulled my engine and was careless cleaning up the spills on the floor. One day later our cat seemed very lathergic. We had a test done and it confirmed antifreeze poisoning. Its kidneys were basically shutting down, and we had to put it to sleep.

Ed
Yea, the ****** across the street from us dumped his old antifreeze in the road, instead of in his stone driveway :confused:. Our dog licked some of it up, it died the next day.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top