Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search didnt find much about the popular ones. Which ones do you guys prefer? I was thinking of using King or clevite
Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GoneNova/406 said:
i think i'd feel alot better after emailing the crank manufacturer or just calling them and seeing what they say.
What do you mean from that? Scat isnt going to tell me why they use a certain one. Of course they will tell me what they are selling or not give me advice at all. I want to know what you hot rodders are using

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
crazy larry said:
i'm running clevite 77's. the next one is going to get federal moguls. same part number, same company, different price.

Sorry, that is not the fact. Clevite and Federal Mogul are 2 separate bearing manufacturers. And the part #'s are also different. The 350 rod bearing (stock replacement) is 2555CP (FM) vs CB663P (Clevite), for instance. Prices vary as to source.

I has used both Clevite and FM and others in the past, in both my own engines and ones that I have built for others and done machine work for. I now recommend the A-series for most street and street-strip engines, and FM race bearings for race engines. There is the mistaken idea that Clevite 77's are race bearings. That is not true. In fact, the technology behind the tri-metal bearing is becoming out-dated and the newer, high-silicone aluminum bi-metal bearing is now the recipe for bearings, from the OEM on down.

tom

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
Tom for the Clevite bearings which would you use the H or P bearings? Just wondering if it makes a huge differance? Or if one is for stock type engine and other are for forged or high rpm engines.

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
strikingthematch said:
Tom for the Clevite bearings which would you use the H or P bearings? Just wondering if it makes a huge differance? Or if one is for stock type engine and other are for forged or high rpm engines.
There are two series of "P" bearings by Clevite ( the tard who came up with 2 series with same letter designation should be made to walk around a gay bar with his pants around his ankles)

If you have a crank with a large radius (.125"), use the "H" series. If you use the "H" series on a normal radiuses crank, the oil bearing surface is less than optimal, so use the stock "P" series, not to be confused with the eccentric, race "P" series. If you have a specific application, PM me and I'll look it up for you in the Clevite catalog.

Illuciano, I've talked to a lot of (uninformed) guys who think Clevite 77's are high performance or race bearings.

tom

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
actually it sometimes makes a very big difference whem you spend alot money on a products and because you do or use something the manufacturer recommends against or just doesn't recomend it at all and they don't want to stand behind the product as a result beause of something they consider improper.
i don't know how deep your pockets are but thats the kind of stuff i pay particular attention to.who cares what someone else use's.its a bearing not a camshaft.it enhances for the most part endurance not performance.and don't you think that any crank company knows just little bit about what bearing to use.they must do tons of dyno work.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
machine shop tom said:
There are two series of "P" bearings by Clevite ( the tard who came up with 2 series with same letter designation should be made to walk around a gay bar with his pants around his ankles)

If you have a crank with a large radius (.125"), use the "H" series. If you use the "H" series on a normal radiuses crank, the oil bearing surface is less than optimal, so use the stock "P" series, not to be confused with the eccentric, race "P" series. If you have a specific application, PM me and I'll look it up for you in the Clevite catalog.

Illuciano, I've talked to a lot of (uninformed) guys who think Clevite 77's are high performance or race bearings.

tom
I used the stock P series on my basically stock type Eagle crankshaft.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where in the heck do you buy King bearings! There site is crap and doesnt work.The search for bearings not worky Help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts