Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have finally decided on a color. I bought a pint of Dupont brand to spray on a piece i am not going to use just to make sure i liked it.I was then showing the piece to all my friends to get different opinions. This one friend is a manager for orileys who said he now sells paint, Sherwin williams brand. He even said he could match the color i chose with the paint code. Then he told me he could give it to me for FREE. free is always good, but my concern is the sherwin williams brand paint. I dont really mind buying the expensive Dupont, but if i can save money that is always good.
What should i do? is the sherwin williams paint any good, or should i stick with the dupont. I do plan on keeping the car and i dont want to have to repaint in 2 years. Any help or suggestions would be great

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
If I were you, and this is what I am going to do, I would stick with a known top line paint. I know people who have used Sherwin Williams paint and have got a superb job. The thing I have about buying paint from a auto parts store instead of a jobber is support. Should you have a problem, is that auto parts store going to support you, or just hand you off to the manufacturer?

Vince

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Free paint! When is a sale not a sale?

A couple of things for you to consider.
First if I recall? You used some lacquer primer on this thing, if you did than the S&W would be the thing to use because it will be more friendly to the lacquer than the Dupont will be.
A major consideration! For long term results.

If you used a 2K primer then I would say use the Dupont from the standpoint the Dupont will be more forgiving if you trap solvent in the base and more forgiving if you must repair the base being a new painter.
The S&W is fine if you follow strict flash times and don't mess up.

Here is the difference, solvent trapping in Dupont most likely will just lead to die-back in the clear that can be buffed out.
Solvent trapping in the S&W can lead to clear peeling down the road. The above are extremes but for your consideration.

Perhaps another consideration is do you have a 1.3 or 1.4 tip gun to shoot this base? If your using a 1.5 or bigger better go with the Dupont for safety sake. (a 1.3 or 1.4 is the proper tip)

As far as support being a home do-it your selfer my feeling is "you have the right not to expect any" so its not even a consideration who you buy from, your friend may have an edge here.

·
Registered
244 Posts
BarryK said:
As far as support being a home do-it your selfer my feeling is "you have the right not to expect any" so its not even a consideration who you buy from, your friend may have an edge here.
Barry no truer words have been said. No paint manufactor will give a rats arse about some home hobbiest. The label on ALL PPG products says for professional use only. Ive heard a store tell that someone before when things went wrong:eek:

But still none the less its better to buy from a paint from a store/company that will answer questions that you have other then pass you on to the next guy.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
sevt_chevelle said:
Barry no truer words have been said. No paint manufactor will give a rats arse about some home hobbiest. The label on ALL PPG products says for professional use only. Ive heard a store tell that someone before when things went wrong:eek:

But still none the less its better to buy from a paint from a store/company that will answer questions that you have other then pass you on to the next guy.

Monday, had a call from a BS at the gulf coast, not sure how he got my name but does nothing but restro's and has used the same PPG jobber for last 12 years, never a problem than 2 in last 6 months. He is a one man operation with a pt helper. Long story short he asked his jobber for a PPG company man to come look at the job not for financial help but to figure out the problem so it don't happen again. They told him he was to small and the rep would never show up.
I pinpointed one of possible two causes over the phone and than told him I could be buy next week to test and pinpoint exactly what the problem was- than he started in, no I'm to small, no need to waste your time. They got him paranoid!
This is more the norm from what I see and its not just PPG either.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe this will help.this is what i used so far, starting from bare metal.

1. evercoat body filler
2. body glaze (evercoat also i think, its in the garage)
3.transtar 2k self etching primer part # 6111
4. transtar 2k ez sand acrylic urethane primer part # 6401ez
5. transtar kwik seal 2k urethane sealer part # 6231
(then i bought a pint of the color im going to use to spray on an old piece of the car im not going to use just to make sure i liked the color. used the same steps above on test piece)
6. dupont chromabase (color spectramaster blue, its a metallic blue)
7. dupont clear
i am using one of the harbor freight hvlp downdraft guns with a 1.4 tip
the test piece i sprayed came out great, actually impressed myself.
As for the sherwin williams paint coming from an auto parts place my friend said he would get the paint rep to mix it all up for me that way it is done right. my friend has given me prices of the primers that i have already bought from the paint store and my friend is a LOT cheaper. My main concern is with the sherwin williams paint as to how it will hold up/compare to the dupont.
And as to the clear coat

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
[
My main concern is with the Sherwin williams paint as to how it will hold up/compare to the dupont.
And as to the clear coat [/B][/QUOTE]
====================================
Proper flash times every bit as good as Dupont and like both bases - Clear makes or breaks the base. So buy a good clear.
I'm not familiar with S&W's clears, so can't help you there.
Martin can best advise what will be best for you to spray and handle.
bwk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts