Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand tires do you guys use for good traction on the street? i want to use full tread tires 275/60/15 or 255/60/15 about 28" high. I like MT ET street radials but don't want to drive with them all the time in case of rain!! Also i have a 66 chevelle w/ GM 10 bolt 8.2 ring gear rear end so don't know if it will hold up with these tires????

Doug 66 Chevelle 406 SBC

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,648 Posts
My normal tire is a Nitto DR in 275-60x15, but the best hook I've experienced yet is from a set of Hoosier QT's in 325-50x15. The Hoosiers are paper thin (each tire weighs about 12#) and bias-ply. Although they have a nice tread, I've been leery of driving them since Rita came through here because of the debris and how fragile they are...

Russ

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I'v heard Kelly Chargers are a pretty good tire, but so are lots of others, that may or may not be name brand ( I have $37 General Ameri G4S tires on my '67 Falcon's front and there a high rated dry traction tire )

·
ASE Certified Master Machinist
1967 Chevrolet Biscayne 10-71 blown 433 Big Block Chevy, T400 & 12 bolt 3.73 rearend
332 Posts
I have to agree with S10xGN on the Hoosier QT's. I am running the 295/60/15's and with my combination (600 hp BBC, 10" conv., 4.56 gears), they provide very good traction on the street. It has not been down the track, so I can't say how well they would work in that situation. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't get the job done though. They are light weight and the sidewalls do wrinkle if the pressure is low enough. They do work well in wet conditions as I have been caught in the rain a couple of times.

Barry

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
I had Falken H rated before. Decent.
Then GoodYear V rated..bargain $..... no traction for launches.. horrible. It was like launching on 80 series bias tires. But it was impressive to see her spin like that :thumbup:

I replaced them with BFG Radial TAs..... the choice of muscle car owners....LOL :nono:

TAs handle like crapola..... must keep lots of air in them to prevent car from tail wagging down the highway..... happened instantly when installed...never had that problem with H rated performance tires in same size. .... considering pulling them off and selling them for whatever I can get, they look almost new.

TAs not too bad launch when new,,,, got hard in a year

Friend hated Hoosier street radials for traction
Son said Kelly Chargers (?) were horrible traction and handling. He jerked em off in 3 days and went back to Jap V rated.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I love my Nitto Drag radials, but their not good in the rain and from what I have herd they will only last about 15k miles. In a 275 60 15 you cant go wrong with a set of firestone Firehawk indy 500s. I had a set of these on a car once and I think their probally the best all around tire I have ever owned. and their #1 rated at the tire rack, check out the reviews.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rtnum=76SR5FHI500RWL&fromCompare1=yes&place=2

another good tire is the Yokohama avid st, I have these on the front of my truck right now and their great,
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...e&partnum=76TR5STOWL&fromCompare1=yes&place=3

Jordon

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
xxllmm4 said:
I love my Nitto Drag radials, but their not good in the rain and from what I have herd they will only last about 15k miles. In a 275 60 15 you cant go wrong with a set of firestone Firehawk indy 500s. I had a set of these on a car once and I think their probally the best all around tire I have ever owned. and their #1 rated at the tire rack, check out the reviews.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rtnum=76SR5FHI500RWL&fromCompare1=yes&place=2

another good tire is the Yokohama avid st, I have these on the front of my truck right now and their great,
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...e&partnum=76TR5STOWL&fromCompare1=yes&place=3

Jordon
Most everyone has a nose....... I wouldn't run a Firestone if they were free.

I used to be a Factory tire rep.
I have rarely known any set of Firestones of any type on any car not have at least one go bad.

Firestone repeatedly and regularly has these extreme quality control issues..... Most of them never make it to the news.

JMO :cool:

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
I have a set of Nitto 440's on our Tahoe, excellent traction, especially in wet weather. I am not to concerned with how long they will last, traction is far more important to me. I also have a set of Nitto Neo Gen tires on my 34. I no longer buy Firstone, B.F. Goodrich, or Tiger Paw after problems with all of them.

Vince

1 - 10 of 10 Posts