Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a good wiring harness that is not expensive? or one brand that i should avoid? i am looking for one for a 66 nova 6-cyl. i might do the whole car.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
sc2dave said:
is there a good wiring harness that is not expensive?
Good and Not expensive are not usually used at the same thing.......especially when it comes to car parts and pieces...:D

I prefer Ron Francis .....he advertises in all the Street Rod type magazines. He is not cheap..but his stuff works and has very good instructions........

For a 66 Nova.......they may be a GM approved source......

·
Registered
559 Posts
Look into "Its A Snap" or "E-Z Wire"
pick up a Stret Rodder mag. for the phone # They have everything you need and more.

·
I smell like a hotrod!
265 Posts
I just finished my car with it's a snap. the 21 circuit kit was $145 at a NSRA show. However, they have the worst instructions I have ever seen. You can always download good instructions from painless.

·
Registered
12 Posts
my buddy has a 65 nova . And we used a painless harness
and had very little problems installing it. however it ran him about 250.00 bucks,but considering what we got it was well worth it.
and the harness has had no problems its been in the car for about two years.
i believe he got it from summit

hope this helps you out.
good luck

·
Too many hobbies!
239 Posts
My neighbor put a painless in his 56 F-100. Everything was marked, other than some issues with the tilt front end, it was pretty simple.

·
Acoustic Rock ... for real.
1,983 Posts
I put the EZ-Wire kit in my truck -- it's not designed for my truck, which is what I wanted -- lots of circuits to do as I please -- however, it was designed for my truck in terms of wire lengths, etc.

For $165, you can't go wrong!

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

·
Registered
559 Posts
SC2Dave
These kits are for a Chevy steering column that is the most complicated part of the harness, everything goes left and right front and back from there!!
Look at Alan truck he has some good info

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
I have used EZ and Painless kits in many cars and love them both. Quality is top notch and directions are fairly clear although they do assume some knowledge of the subject by the customer.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I have used some of Painless products, which were OK, I have put Ran Frances kits in my 36 Fords and will say they are the best (quality, flexibility, instructions and tech support) I have looked at all the other copy cats and am not interested for my personal use. Some appear to be little better than what I could strip from the salvage yard, while others try to do a low budget copy of Ron Frances, sans the control panel.

Trees

·
Rebuilt Excitment
595 Posts
I have been gone for a little while and just saw this thread, I have installed both the Ron Francis and the ez wire. When I put in the Ron Francis I had a problem and when I asked them for help I was basically told to read the direction they did not have the time to help idiots, will never use another nor recommend one of their kits. The ez wire is simple I have installed or helped to install around a half dozen, just follow the directions and can not go wrong.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ok so I have narrowed my choice to the snap it, centech, Ron Francis, painless, american autowire, ezwiring, haywire, hotrodwires, or the summit brand :confused:

It seems basically everyone is happy with every harness (short of EBlack36's issues which we don't know if they are quality issues or ?) so why would I pay $500 for a harness when I can get one for $150?

Out of all the things I have bought for some reason this has been the toughest decision!!

I think this thread should be a sticky - for a hot rod forum in an electrical section knowing what harness worked best is pretty important ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
ok, so if I stick with EZ which would you reccomend? I run a bunch of aftermarket lights (two sets), electric fuel pump, cb, EFI motor, etc..

I currently have a separate fuse block with relays and switches for all my accessories - I imagine I'll do the same but it would be nice if there was a + run and + always for the EFI motor and a + run for the fuel pump though..

EZ 21- $165
EZ 12 - $155
Mini 20 - $160
Mini 12 - $160

1 - 20 of 47 Posts