Part of your decision depends on what's available in engine paint.
I know some customizers paint engines alot of different colors, I just don't know what's involved in getting those colors in a good engine paint.
- What colors is the interior? Something that matches an interior color, depending what that is, could work.
- A color that compliments the gold, like root beer, could work... but that may depend on whether anything else on the truck is brown, such as the interior...
- As "95 Truck" mentioned, a different shade of Gold could work. "Rose Gold" or Copper is a thought too... but you'd have to evaluate that.
- If you want to go with a factory color, Chevy Orange engine paint by DupliColor (Napa and O'Reilly carry it) looks really great, and seems to keep its bright color over time. It would definitely be better than the red...
- In my opinion, the aluminum would look a little plain, and wouldn't contrast with the chrome.
- Definitely NOT fluorescent green... that's probably my best advice.
While you're at it, some different valve covers would help (just my opinion)...
I had the same covers as yours on my 283, but a classic truck like yours deserves better.
I put "short" finned covers like these on my 383. They look great for a vintage style. They're actually taller than a stock cover, and work great with my aluminum rockers, but you'd have to verify that depending what rockers you have. I bought mine from Speedmaster, but don't see them listed there now. They look like these, with the slightly curved top:
SBC FINNED POLISHED ALU VALVE COVERS SHORT SMALL BLOCK CHEVY SB 283 327 350 383 | eBay
Here's an example of some tall finned ones that seem to have the curved top as well.
I like the curved look best, but some similar ones are straight, just FYI.
You'd need to make sure you have the room with the hood closed, since they're taller:
Retro Finned Polished Aluminum Tall Valve Covers Fit 58-86 SBC Chevy 350 400 | eBay
Some of these come with a matching air filter, if you like that:
Retro Finned Tall Valve Covers Fit 58-86 SBC & 12"x 12" Oval Finned Air Cleaner | eBay
If you don't want the "Corvette" finned look, Speedmaster has these tall ball milled ones.
Again, you'd have to verify that you have room:
PCE® Valve Cover PCE314.1070.06 | Buy Direct with Fast Shipping (speedmaster79.com)
Best of Luck!