Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have an 82 s-10 put a 350 in it with 3.73's in the back. had a TH350 with a 3500 stall conveter. the 350 was mildly but and my buddy put a huge came in it. thats why had to use such a high stall...now im redoing the top end using a trick flow street/bracket top end kit ,it comes withheads, rockers, & a 228-224 duration @ .050 cam with .480/.494 lift says motor should produce 420 horses and 395 ft lbs of torque. i might go with the other Street kit, it comes with a cam that has 210-216 duration @ .050 with .440/.454 lift. says motor should produce 350 horses and 400 ft lbs torque.

the question is what converter should i go with for each setup. truck will be prolly a daily driver ?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'd go with a 2800-3200 for the 224/228 cam, and a 2200-2500 for the 210/216 cam since it is going to be a daily driver. And dont forget the trans cooler.:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
it's good only if your useing one of these trannys
2004R / 7004R / 4L60 / 4L60E
and there a no name brand converter i would go
with a name brand tci,b&m,freddybrown or something
from jeg's or summit

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whoops...my bad....i tohught it was for a TH350

anyways does anyone know where i can buy a good converter for a fairly cheap price with a range of stall such as 2500-3000?

·
Registered
56 Posts
what are you thinking stay. with the cam it had unless your driving more than 75 miles. both cams you discribed are both vary good street cams with max torque for a street engine. i have ran bigger cams and stalls for longer miles. the best stall to ever get is [email protected] 3200 or any big name brand 3500 stall or bigger, any smaller and you wont realize its there. so what is the use put stock then right. if you have all ready made your final cam choice then i would put stock, just becouse millions of cars have cams like that and work just fine. but you have to realize the bigger the cam the bigger everything else to.

·
Footbraker
693 Posts
I'm running a 2000-2400 stall (12") in my 82 S10 w/mild 350 (8.5:1 CR, 210/[email protected] .444 lift, 882 heads - 1.94/1.50, TH350 trans.) and as chris said, it is hardly noticeable. It did make about a .2 sec improvement in my 60' and 1/4 mile times. I will eventually get a higher stall (and build more motor) but this converter was recommended by my friend that runs a transmission shop (I told him "daily driver") and was around $150.
www.transmission-specialties.com

·
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed
1,855 Posts
Go for Jeg's branded converters in a mild streeter.I bought one and have no regrets and its cheaply priced too.I paid like $129 for mine 11" 2200-2400 stall TH350.The 11" is now discontinued as far as I know.
Anyway with the 224/[email protected] cam I'd use something about 2400 stall to 2800 stall.
With the 210/[email protected] I'd use stock or 2200stall.
As far as mild converters there will be no But dyno detectable results felt.But it sould drop your 60ft.It would prolly make a bigger differnace on slicks when ya can really drop the hammer and not break traction.
To big a converter on the street will cause your tranny to slip slightly at lower rpm driving causeing heat which is a Auto trannys worst nightmare.
IMO I would run atleast an external cooler(small RV one) allong with the radiator cooler w/ evan a mild stall converter.And a big *** cooler on a Big *** convterer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have a 3500 stall in my 66nova
lots of fun for occasional street terroism
wouldnt wanna use it for commuting though
the small cam with a 2500 stall will be much happier in rush hour traffic
ive been running a 204' @050 with a stock converter in my driver 1ton 4x4 and it has great tourque yer s10 2wd im assuming is much lighter than my rig
either cam will work fine with yer light vehicle and 3.73s

take it from me over camming SUCKS ive made the mistake many times im running a 304 hydraulic roller in my 66nova its not really streetable and and haviing too big a cam and too tight of a coverter SUCKS BIG TIME especialy when u cant idle in gear 2 feet driveing is sooo gay

make yer cam decision based on yer heads carb heads and converter u already have
stick with dual plane intakes perf RPM is great ive used it for everything from 4x4ing to street racing (SHHHHHHH)

·
Registered
56 Posts
ok i have used 2500 stalls 1500 but i consider them junk you cant get enuff stall but i have always run a cam more than 488 lift, in everycar i have. and my rule of thum is bigger is better except with carbs and cams. but with a 3500 stall you will only see 2800 max stalling. but it dose go with your torque. so with a small cam like what you using if it where me i would chose stock untill i went with a bigger cam

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
56 Posts
well you didnt just put the cam for it to sound good right! i mean it dont take much for the s10's to go. (s10 right) I hope it will go good. you know sometimes there are the engines that just wont go and you dont know why. please go to the races and tell us how it did, we want to know

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chris i dont think that ur understanding me here. im not just buying the cam im buying a WHOLE topend kit (heads cam, lifters, pushrods, and roller rockers...the whole 9 yards) i already have a cam in it 305 duration .525 lift wayyyy too big for what i want. i just want a daily driven street machine. and that big cam eats gas like a motha and also i have stock head setup on it so its puffing smoke cuz the valve guides and seals are shot. other than that the motor is great. scat cast crank, GM pink rods, hyperteunictic flat tops pistons with 4 valve reliefs 10:1. plus i just bought a Monster Motorsports Mega Monster TH350.

one cam comes in one kit and the other cam comes in the other kit . its a Trickflow kit. u can see it in the Summit catalog

also doesnt what converter u choose depend on how much torque ur puttin out?

·
Registered
56 Posts
yes the more torque the more stall but only to a certain amount like if you buy a 3200 stall you will most of the time only see 2800 stall. how did your other cam suck gas i had a com cams 525 and i got 12mpg with 342s and a 3500 stall, 4000 flash. you are light i you should do good (18mpg) or so i would think. but i could be wrong i have been before.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts