Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my friends has an old Chevrolet Luv pickup. It has a little 4 cylender hooked to a 5 speed manual and some weak little rear end.
It has driven fine for the past few years for him, but today when we went to go to lunch it would barely accelerate when he would open it wide open. We checked the engine, its fine. The transmission and or rear end are what he has concluded it to. I'm unaware of the miles but i'm sure its really high.
My theroy, if the rear end was to break it would happen at once and he won't go anywhere (i know this from when i've had a posi-traction failure that chewed my rear end to dust.) and if the transmission was bad there would be chuncks in the fluid correct? (I've also had that happen) I've said it is probably his clutch that died.
It is like it slips really bad, but it still grips...eventually (i could probably walk faster then it accelerates). Even if he tries to take it easy it will do this.
Would this be the sign of a dead clutch?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.
Eric

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
If there are no strange noises, I'd say your right, and the clutch is fried. Usually if it is slipping, you can smell it, but it may be that it is down far enough that it won't. If it is slipping that badly that the truck won't move well, I'd go with a new clutch kit (pressure plat, disc, release bearing). Also, I'd have the flywheel resurfaced at a macine shop, one with the proper grinding equipment. If they turn it on a lathe, the hot spots in the metal are so hard that the tool bit will simply skip over them without cutting, leaving you worse off than before.

·
Registered
261 Posts
There are two ways I know of to test as clutch:

1. When parked with the engine running and the parking brake on full - put it in 4th gear and very slowly let the clutch go. If it dies easily it's not necessarily bad.
2. Drive at a steady speed in 4th gear on a bit a an incline. Suddenly accelerate hard. The engine rpm will pick up without any change in vehicle speed.

I also feel that there should be a smell - similar to brakes being used hard.

Another question to ask you (something similar happened to a front wheel drive I had) : When driving and trying to accelerate, does it feel like there's a brake or something holding the car back? If so, and all wheel turn freely when jacked up then it could be the bearings in the gearbox that seized up. Mine got so bad that the day I took it to have the box replaced I couldn't reverse the car without revving the motor and smoking the clutch.

Hope all this helps.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry this took so long to get back on, he adjusted his clutch and it grips a little bit now. He is buying a new one.

I can guarentee that my clutch is going though (buying one later today), got mad when a cop at school told me to slow down so i layed on it... instead of smoking the tires i smoked the clutch.... griped enough to get it to the shop but i won't drive it til its fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.