Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to bondo some low spots. I used rage extreme, sanded the spots w/80 grit to the shape i wanted, feathered it in. Next I used 150 git and feathered some more and clean up the groves a little and 230 grit on top of that. After I was done to the hand it was smooth as a baby's *** no lips to the touch or anything. I shot some 2k primer on it and crap I can see where the bondo is. HELP PLEASE I AM TIRED OF SANDING. What am i doing wrong. Thanks in advance..

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
If you have not blocked the primer, it is common to see the filler. If after blocking you do, that is another story.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
I'm sorry Ron, do you mean "why do you often see the filler?" If that is what you meant, the filler is porous and will "suck up" solvents from the primer. It isn't a bad thing usually, but you will see a "ghost" where the filler is.

Now, you can also see the filler because it isn't feathered out perfect as well. There will be a tiny difference in height from the filler to bare metal and even to surrounding paint. This slight difference will be seen. Simply blocking the primer down level, ("surfacing") will make it go away.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I thought it may have something to do with the surface finish. I got it. If that minor amount of filler above surface level can make it show as well, I am thinking we are talking thousandths here. I think 2 coats of primer is usually only about 4-6 mils? Amazing when you think about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.