Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of anything but cars? In class, and especially when at 12 o'clock at night when I need to be doing homework, I can't stop thinking about cars. I cant work on them because I have no money or tools or cleaners.

Argh!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thinking

In time buddy, it was on my sixteenth birthday when I bought my 1970 GTO boy did I love it I had a work permit so I could get a licenses, get a job so that you can have your own car but remember school is always first that way you can buy any car you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Get that homework out of the way earlier in the evening! You don't need to be doing it that late! Your brain won't function well if your tired. Why take a chance of failing school and walking or bummin a ride everywhere later in life because you cant afford or insure a car. Take care of important things first! Then you can think about gals in cars around midnight. :mwink:

BTW... Both are high maintaince items that require "mucho dinero" to keep em happy and functioning well!

Allen

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
919 Posts
Your not alone. I used to hide my hot rod magazine in my text books so I wouldn't get in trouble for not doing my home work. I'd read my magazine and quick flip the page if my mom or dad came in my room. I remember my mom holding my hot rod hostage when it came in the mail a few times. Thankfully I was able to keep my grades up enough to graduate. I'm sure I would have been a much better student if I had a applied myself though.

Pretty much nothing has changed though, and I will still do stupid things for the sake of my passion for cars and trucks.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And I don't see why thats bad. Everyone seems to make the push to do good in school to do get a good job...but what about doing good at what you are interested inand getting a job in that.

I just cant bring myself to study for an hour when I could be reading about cars for 2.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It probably doesn't seem like it now but it's alot easier to build the cars you want in the future if you do good in school and get a good job when you get out. Take it from me, It's definately better to be working on your own cars for fun, than working on other ppls cars for a living. Getting a good job will ensure you have the funding required to play in this hobby in the future.

·
Registered
63 Posts
homework and cars

My highschool had an autobody course, so cars wre my homework! Two hours in the morning, and I'd stay after school where the instructor would help me with my homework and then let me work on my personal vehicle. Maybe you could take a Vo-Tech course for credits if the school does'nt offer anything.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If hot-rodding becomes your job...then that's exactly what it's gonna be; a JOB and NOT a hobby.
Apply yourself, get good grades, go to college and get a good job in an area that interests you. Once the money starts flowing in so will the hot rod parts and go-fast goodies. When I was 16 (not so very long ago hahaha) I was so desperate to have an old car I would've done anything in the world to get my parents to borrow me the money and the space. Trust me, things will work out for you. A year later I bought a truck which has been nothing but fun and I got another project going on the backburner too. Hang in there, apply yourself and you'll do fine. Dont just buy something cause you want something and then you end up never finishing it. Do your research, start with something SOLID (it's worth paying more for the car and having less work to do on it, specially for a first project) that you can drive while working on.
Good luck,

Mike

·
Registered
187 Posts
There's a lot of good advice been given, so I won't repeat it. I do, however have a simple equation that seems to be true.

Education + hardwork = good job Which equates to hot rodding x infinity.

It's okay to dream ( I like to call it research). :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But what do you do when there is nothing that really interests you...asides music. And musicians are the ones who clean up after the burger flippers.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
BMM said:
of anything but cars? In class, and especially when at 12 o'clock at night when I need to be doing homework, I can't stop thinking about cars.
SOMEBODY needs to have a long talk with this boy... :rolleyes:

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
Yes, it's a familiar story ... and one that ends with:
"I wish that I still had every dollar that I ever spent on old cars, girls, beer, and burgers." :D

I got the "car bug" early, and had successfully installed power brakes in my 1955 Pontiac before the age of 15. :thumbup: I was also lucky enough to go to a high school that had an "Industrial Arts" program that tought us how to do things like use an acetylene cutting torch, stick-weld, use a metal lathe, and dis-assemble & re-assemble engines. Best of all ... you got credits for taking the course!

At 16, I had an "I never met a wreck so bad that it couldn't be fixed" attitude ... and started on a 1957 Pontiac station wagon "project". I spent hundreds of dollars on that POS (while working for $2.00/hr at the service station). Somewhere about that time ... I (stupidly) convinced myself that I was wasting my time being in school, and dropped out in early Grade 12.

It was tough, watching as the rest of the graduating class of 1973 went out to buy brand new ($3,000.00) 340 Dusters or Mach 1 Mustangs as graduation presents to themselves, while I never did get that wagon finished or running :(

My parents moved 300 miles away, and I went with them. The intention was to go back and finish the wagon, but I never made it past visiting, partying, and old girl-friends. I did have a couple of older cars that I spent a lot of money (probably also foolishly) on ... a 1968 Torino (351C transplant) and a 1975 Dart 318 (4 bbl Holley, 727, 8-1/4 posi upgrades). Nice enough ... but still paled in comparison to those brand new Dusters. :(

I won't say that my vehicle obsession was an evil thing ... the mechanical aptitude did come in very handy and influenced me to get started on a career in automotive parts. I was also smart enough (well, OK, my wife was smart enough) :mwink: to get back to a local college, finish my Gr 12, and take a few business management courses ... which, again, have helped me out in my career.

Being a partsman by trade will never make you "rich" ... but it is a pretty steady living. It seemed to provide just enough income to support a wife and two kids ... but funds for "hot-rodding" were pretty much non-existant. We were on an accelerated mortgage schedule (bi-weekly payments rather than monthly) and kept our payments the same amount when interest rates fell. As a result, we were able to pay off our 25-year mortgage in 17 years.

We're "empty-nesters" now, and my wife has gone back to work as well. The kids still need a lot of financial help (especially with tuition ... that's right ... MY kids are going to go to school!) but there is still a little money available for Don to re-live his hot-rod dream.

I have been forced to learn patience ... and I think that is a valuable thing to have. I have been working on my truck for almost 2 years now ... taking my time and hopefully doing things right ... and now have a GOOD rolling chassis.

I hope that reading this will convince you, and other young people, to stay in school ... get married ... have kids ... buy a house ... etc. There will be time for cars sooner or later. "Sooner" if you have an income that will allow for it, and "Later" if you're LUCKY.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I only work on my car when I know Im gonna have free time in the next FEW MONTHS. A simple upgrade easily turns into a huge mind drain. All I do is think about the next step and how to be smart enough to get more while spending less. Im going crazy thinking as we speak (type).. :sweat: :nono: :smash: :thumbup: :p :pain: :eek: :boxing:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts