Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Assuming I've just bought a 1970s smallblock Chevy longblock, what else do I need to buy before I can fire up the engine?

Intake manifold & carb
distributor
alternator

What else?????

Lobo in West Virginia

·
Registered
806 Posts
If the engine has a new cam be sure to break it in properly, If you do a search in the engine forum for cam break in You'll find the whole process. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Come on Guys,

I'm here because you folks are supposed to know engines!

Harmonic balancer

Fly wheel

Do these come with a longblock?

Lobo in West Virginia

·
Registered
150 Posts
ok, assuming the following is included in the long block;

block
crank
main bearings
rods
rod bearings
pistons and rings
timing chain
cam
cam bearings
heads
lifters
pushrods
valves
springs
retainers, shims, etc.
rockers

you're going to need;

oil pump+hardware
oil pan
intake manifold
carb
air cleaner
carb linkage
timing cover
balancer
pullies
alternator+bracket
power steering? pump+bracket
water pump
plugs
wires
distributor
valve covers
full gaskets+fasteners
belts

Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Odium,

Fuel pump came to mind today. Thanks for your help. I'm trying to figure out how much this engine's going to cost me.

Lobo in West Virginia

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yea, fuel pump. You also have to take the trans into account, propper cooling for the power your going to make, correct fuel delivery, engine mounts, etc. And a starter.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well, where i'm from, you buy a used long block- everything comes with it. Unless you are buying a long block from a manufacturer, why wouldn't these things be on there? Including the balancer, flywheel, water pump, and all the covers. Guess you should be more specific as to the term "long block".

·
Administrator
18,438 Posts
If you are putting this in a certain car, you should have most of the parts already........................

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
ask the people your buying your long block from what comes with it.... they just might be able to tell you what else you need...or buy a crate motor complete.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Tazz,

The engine builder will build to your specs and do complete engines. As with a lot of builders, $$$$ is my limiting factor. In fact Zipper Motors will build the car turnkey for a price. My wife and I are putting most of our extra income into the mortgage right now, so the house will be paid off when she's ready to retire in a couple of years--24 payments left. "My Car" gets the left overs and money from second jobs.

Lobo in West Virginia

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Look for a donor car/truck with a a good drive train and use it until such time you decide to disassemble it to build your project. Or watch the papers..do you have access to: www.cruisintimes.org/
and see if you can hook up with something you can use.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts