Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am wondering what engine any of you would recomend to put into a 65 mustang fastbacki do not want to put a factory engine back into it. if you guys could help it would be great

·
Registered
676 Posts
I would recomend the 351w if you are going for power. One of these will provide about any power that you could handle. Best of all, it'll fit in the tight confines of your mustang. 351 blocks are getting a little harder to find now because they werent really used as much as the 302s. I found a block on ebay for $50. You just have to look is all. THe aftermarket can provide just about anything else. Before you know it, youll have a killer fastback. If you are going for practicality, maybe the 302. It'll provide better gas mileage. Both have so much aftermarket parts for them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Determine how quick you want the car to be.

Should it be a show car that only looks good or do you want it to run like a beast.

1st. consider how the car should run; Should it be a street car that is capable of 12 sec. quarter mile time?

I can run these numbers for you in a computer program called PC HOTROD.

PC HOTROD will generate a report that will show all of the performance aspects of a chosen combination.

This report will then be emailed back to you.

Visit the following website to see a sample of the report generated by PC HOTROD.

email address is as follows:
[email protected]

·
Registered
10 Posts
go with the 347 storker!!! it is a 302 with a stroker kit. it will get you about 450 horses, and is cheaper than the famed 351 windsor.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If i were uou i would contact PAW, thet make a 420/427 small block winsor. with cheap components, 400M crank(4-1/8 stroke), mopar 360 rods (6.123'), Keith black hypereutectic pistons, all lodified slightly to fit. and the price for a shortblock, with cam and balancing is 2495. and a complete long block is only; 2995,- with 351 w heads. just add a proper intake and all your stock hardware. and your the proud owner of a 500 hp mustang.. that idles and runs on pump gas

·
Registered
676 Posts
luv 2 run has a good point. a 347 is just 4 cubic inches smaller than a 351 and about just as expensive. And you can get just as much horsepower from it too. An added benefit would be that you dont have the extra wieght penalty of the bigger 351 block, so you could preserve handling.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
well with regards to the price the 347 requires block mashining and costs arround 1700-2G for a shortblock, no exotics.

The winsor costs arround 1400 for a shortblock.

I an thinking that you are going to buy headders anyway so that price is arround the same whatever you buy, same with heads, intake and so on..

a 355 inch ford shortblock is about 2800 USD,

so dollar for dollar i say the paw 427 smallblock winsor (stroked 351)is the best buy at 2495. all included

just think of the tiresmoking tourque it generates, not to mention the better idle a big displacement engine gets even a radical cam.

·
Registered
1 Posts
iluv2run is right if you want an engine that is a fair price and has a good amount of power go with the 347 stroker. there are many modifications that can be made for show or for race to this engine. and as far as cubic inches goes 347 of em is pretty good since stock was only 289

1 - 11 of 11 Posts