Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a big compressor and a generator. They both have this engine in them. They both need some ignition/tune-up parts and I can go through Ingersoll Rand, or locate a parts supplier for MRO equipment... But, then I have to mail order or pay MRO prices. Soooo, I thought if one of you says that its something simple like a Ford 2.5, I'll just head over to the parts store and get the cheap and easy parts.

The casting numbers tell me nothing. V40 2000 300, then what you see in the following pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
838 Posts
Tag says Hercules, thats an engine brand. They were made quite a while ago for industrial applications and Ive also seen them in boats.

Did two inline 6 flat heads once man are they heavy for their size. :sweat:

Closest casting number I can come up with is 40-2000200 says G1600, 163 CID L-4.

Which could be a match who knows how accurate the casting number books are for something this ancient.

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Just like the tag says, it's a Hercules. They were common in industrial and smaller construction equipment like forklifts, generators, sweepers, rollers, etc. I worked for a construction equipment dealer back in the 70's and we saw a lot of them.

Do a Google search for Hercules gas engines and you might start with these guys..

Kraft Power

·
Registered
173 Posts
> They both need some ignition/tune-up parts

The NAPA Echlin catalog should list ignition tune up parts for Hercules engines. Try your local NAPA store.

Bob

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent. I knew you guys would have all the right info. I just assumed that saying "Hercules" was like saying "Mercruiser." They put their name on someone else's engine. Never thought for a minute that it might be an actual engine brand to itself.

The one makes a really weak yellow spark, but the float must be stuck in the carb cause it overflows from every orifice. The other one doesn't make a spark at all and I think the coil is toast. Both need cap rotor and wires.

I also picked up a really neat trash pump. It has a Wisconsin V4 powering a self-priming 6" pump. Talk about moving some water!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Herc motor

My buddy has a Hercules motor (flathead) in his '47 Diamond T truck. Apparently they used these motors during the '30's & '40's. I do know that the parts are available, albiet expensive (for things like pistons & valves). He has to compete the the antique boat crowd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts