Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck currently has a 318 which is fairly healthy. It will smoke the tires whenever i lay on the gas until i let off the gas. But my truck i want to go faster, the 318 lacks getup and go power, it is fine at a stop, i can break 90 in about 8 seconds. If you try to jump away from someone while you are moving it isn't going to happen even if youre going 20.

I was discussing this with a kid at school, he has 4 cars 3 of which are dragsters. And he has a motor lying around.

It is a 426 Hemi (1970 casting), in need of a rebuild, it is torn down and has all the old parts. It looks healthy, no scratches or chips of damage to any of the parts, and the great part he only wants 300$ for it!

Which engine would you choose for acceleration purposes- i'm not worried about the gas mileage. Also what type of damage to my pocket am I looking at to rebuild that old hemi?

What type of power is acheivable with it? I also have an old 10-71 Blower lying around, would this motor be worthy of putting the blower on?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Eric

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
Let me get this straight................you have a 318 that will go 0-90 in 8 seconds?

And your 17 year old friend has a street Hemi laying around?

Just want to get it straight before we go any further...................

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
ecrusch1987 said:
My truck currently has a 318 which is fairly healthy. It will smoke the tires whenever i lay on the gas until i let off the gas. But my truck i want to go faster, the 318 lacks getup and go power, it is fine at a stop, i can break 90 in about 8 seconds. If you try to jump away from someone while you are moving it isn't going to happen even if youre going 20.

I was discussing this with a kid at school, he has 4 cars 3 of which are dragsters. And he has a motor lying around.

It is a 426 Hemi (1970 casting), in need of a rebuild, it is torn down and has all the old parts. It looks healthy, no scratches or chips of damage to any of the parts, and the great part he only wants 300$ for it!

Which engine would you choose for acceleration purposes- i'm not worried about the gas mileage. Also what type of damage to my pocket am I looking at to rebuild that old hemi?

What type of power is acheivable with it? I also have an old 10-71 Blower lying around, would this motor be worthy of putting the blower on?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Eric
lol, are you sure its a hemi? I seriously doubt it is, show us pics of the casting numbers and parts.

Is this truck even worth putting a hemi or any built motor for that matter? It had better be a pretty sweet truck with a beautiful painjob and all decked out, otherwise, what's the point of putting an engine in a ride that's with 20 times what's holding it?

That's like drinking a 700 dollar bottle of wine out of a cantine.

Even if you get this motor for 300 bux (believe it when I see it) with that much power you're going to be 10-20 thousand into this truck. That's a lot of 5 dollar and hour hours dude.

For that much money I could build a truck with the same power AND put a bad paintjob on it.

Sorry, doin't mean to be negative, but it aint gonna happen dude. Build a 360 or something. Even a 440 is going to make your jaw drop when you start seeing parts prices...

K

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Yea, right! We're supposed to believe you have a friend that has a 426 for sale for $300. Try pulling someone else's leg for a while.

Centerline

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry if none of you believe me. I'll get the casting numbers while i'm at school tommorow.

The motor needs new heads.

I'm wondering what type of money it would cost to rebuild this, if it is to much i will give you guys his number and you can buy it from him.

Eric

During the winter i'm going to pull the body off my truck (currently a 1976 dodge) and i'm going to put a body off a 1951 studebaker off it. This body is nice but the frame on the studebaker is cracked, and it has no internals so, yes it would be worth the motor.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry if i'm sounding like and *** or anything.

The motor is a hemi, i helped him pull it out of his dads old barracuda when they put the new motor in. I helped them pull the motor apart when it was out of the veihicle. It is a hemi.

About how much would you guess for a rebuild and new heads(one of the old ones is cracked)?

Eric

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
ecrusch1987 said:
Sorry if none of you believe me. I'll get the casting numbers while i'm at school tommorow.

The motor needs new heads.

I'm wondering what type of money it would cost to rebuild this, if it is to much i will give you guys his number and you can buy it from him.
If it is indeed a hemi and if it does need new heads, bare castings will cost you a little over $1000 each for stock cast iron replacements. If you want aluminum then be prepared to pop about $2500 each. Then add another couple grand for rocker shafts and arms plus valves.

Chances of it being anything but a figment of some kids imagination though are better than pretty good, more like excellent.

Pardon us for having a hard time believing you, but anyone who would sell a $10,000 engine for $300 is either lying or an idiot, and you can tell your friend I said so.

Centerline

·
Registered
48 Posts
killerformula said:
the rebuild cost is going to be on par with that of our offensive in iraq, stay away!

This motor is not a hemi. I'd put money on it, its probably some old ragged out pontiac or chevy motor lmao.

K

Ive gotta agree (atleast the first part)

Well man I dont know. $300 if its real theres a reeason its $300.
Go get some half dead 350 and buy a 383 stroker kit ($700-1500). I think, that way you know exactley what your getting into. No suprizes or atleast any BIG ones

Stroke of Genius

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
Centerline said:
If it is indeed a hemi and if it does need new heads, bare castings will cost you a little over $1000 each for stock cast iron replacements. If you want aluminum then be prepared to pop about $2500 each. Then add another couple grand for rocker shafts and arms plus valves.

Chances of it being anything but a figment of some kids imagination though are better than pretty good, more like excellent.

Pardon us for having a hard time believing you, but anyone who would sell a $10,000 engine for $300 is either lying or an idiot, and you can tell your friend I said so.

Centerline
Says our resident "HEMI" expert........

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
why was the motor pulled in the first place? If it had a messed up head, why wasn't the head just repaired/replaced? Is the block cracked or something?

Hemis have the spark plug wires going into the center of the TOP of the valve cover... like in my avatar! I'm sure you knew that, just want to make doubly sure... If this guy knows enough about motors to be swapping them around, I'm sure he knows a hemi is worth more than 300 bux. What motor did he put back in it? Not sure if any other motor has those mounting points, bigblocks may, but I'm not definately sure...

I think you guys pulled an old 383 out of this car and you put a 440 in it or something.

k

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tommorow i'll get his number, casting numbers, and possibly pictures for all of you. That is too much money for me.

Thanks for the help
Eric.

Killerformula- They put in one of the 528 or whatever ci that new hemi is. I'm not sure if you heard of it but i think it is on hemi.com.
they also went through and put an 8-71 blower and nitrous on the motor, they turned it into a dragster to make it short.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Sounds more and more like a TROLL to me...But maybe the kid got lucky and did get a line on an old Hemi that needs a head.....only time will tell...we will see how the story plays out. I'm skeptical to say the least!!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.