Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 79 trans am and its not standard its barracuda colours but ive pulled the old poncho engine and am replacing it with a chevy i dunno wether to put in a 350 and stroke it get a 383 or go for a 454 i cant afford 502 crate so nobody suggest that please ....whats gonna be the best thing for daily driving im not worried about fuel consumption i mean reliability horses and bottom end torque but i like quite high reving engines....help please.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
While I am not a GMC sort of guy, in my honest opinion, going with the 383 stroker in a 350 seems to be the best bang for the buck, especially in light of the prices of SBC parts, compared to BBC parts. When you consider the weight factors as well, you would be doing as well, or better than if you were running a 396.
383 stroker kits are a dime a dozen now days, and putting one in your Trans Am should be no problem as it shares a lot of chassis parts with the Camaro.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheerrs

well i know pontiac and chevy engines are basically just a swap is it possible to put like a hemi 440 in a f body chassis or is it just not happening i new to all this so i dont know how hemis are mounted.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hemi in a Firebird

Sure it can be done. They put BBC's in them and they are bigger outwardly, than is a 440, and weigh as much as a Hemi. Course putting a Hemi in one might require a little bit of firewall and fender mods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts