Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
I have a 38 Chevy Coupe with a later front end built in as you see in the pictures.
I would like to know what front end this is, is it a Mustang II or could it be a Pinto front end?
The reason why I'm asking this, is because I live in Belgium (Europe) and my car has to pass the technical inspection to get a license plate and insurance.
Nothing wrong so far, but ... in the Belgian Governement seems to be allergic to disc brakes. If the disc brakes are not original on the car, it wil not pass the technical inspection.
So, I'm looking for a solution to downgrade the disc brakes to drums. And yes I mean it :confused:.
Is there a solution anyhow?
Thanks for your responses!

·
Registered
292 Posts
The Pinto/Mustang II are pretty similar; need more pics to identify further. Ford Falcons of similar vintage used many of the same components. Maybe find some drum brake pieces from a Falcon. I'm no expert.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Mustang and Pinto front ends are the same outside of the angle of the strut rods. And neither of the ever used drum brakes that fit that spindle. That said a ford Maverick used a similar spindle, and used drum brakes in front on several models. Falcon and early Mustang parts may work too, but the spindles are completely different.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,819 Posts
Might be a short or tall Pinto spindle. Most aftermarket are modeled after the tall ones for the upper control arm camber curves.
The picture isn't good enough to identify the LCA.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Might be a short or tall Pinto spindle. Most aftermarket are modeled after the tall ones for the upper control arm camber curves.
The picture isn't good enough to identify the LCA.
I recently ran into a brake problem on a pinto front end and had to buy new spindles to make it work. Didn't know they had a short and tall spindle. What cars did they use the short spindle on? What is LCA?

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,819 Posts
I think...going by faded memory and too much beer. We’re still headed home after Brownstown and Bristol.
Anyway, clouded judgmentsays it’s the early Mustang II’s that are 3/4” shorter from BJ hole to BJ hole? And after’73 I think? They ended up the same? My friend Zach says there’s something about the popular metric brake bracket but he doesn’t know what. That’s helpful right? Well, he’s been awake since Thursday fixing busted race cars so I don’t know about all that blabbering.
I have notes at home on my PC. I’ll look in the morning.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,819 Posts
My notes say,
1974-78 Pinto spindle is 5-1/16″ while the Mustang II is 5-7/8″. Also, the steering arm hole center to the lower ball joint center dimension is 4-1/2″ on the Pinto spindle but 5″ on the MII.
The lower caliper bracket hole is in a different location as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.