Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was this winter, a dark and stormy night in the deep valleys of Norway, I came across it. It was resting in a shed when I found it, covered in decades of dust and cold spider webs. With a resistant squeal the hood was opened, and an engine carefully crafted by the loyal lackeys of Louis Chevrolet glared at me with its chromed eyes. "It's not original," the man said, cold damp steaming from his mouth as he spoke, the contours of his face barely visible in the dim light from the torch in my hand. "It's a 305, puts out about 200 horse". He shrugged his shoulders almost apologetically. "I don't know where it's from, it was there when I bought it".

I drove it home in the dark, the twisting mountain roads lit only by the moon and the fading glow from 30 year old headlamps. In the garage I picked up my wire brush and went to work. Careful not to scratch the paint as I brushed, I gradually uncovered the letters and numbers telling the story of an iron workhorse's first days near the Canadian border. "T0607CPY". It spoke to me, an engine's way of introducing itself. "Nice to meet you," I whispered.

"T stands for Tonawanda," she said, her small glasses bouncing enthusiastically as she spoke. The room was claustrophobically dark, with a clouding smell of beewax and old books. "The CPY code was used in - no that can't be right, hang on." She turned pages frantically while squinting against the faded letters. "Yes, in 1977 for the Chevrolet 305 small block." I leaned forwards, hopefully. "It seems to have been used in several cars; Chevelles, Camaros, Novas. I am afraid I can tell you no more of its origin."

As I went to bed that night I could not help but look out towards the garage. "What were you in?" I whispered. "What happened at Tonawanda in 1977?"

(Seriously, any help identifying which car model this engine could originally have been in is greatly appreciated.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right, as I understand we are then talking about the following cars being offered with the CPY code in 1977:

Chevrolet Nova
Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Chevrolet Chevelle
Chevrolet Malibu (?)
Chevrolet Camaro
Buick Skylark
Pontiac Phoenix
Pontiac Firebird

Were the Tonawanda engines placed in all of these? So it's a wild guess?

·
Administrator
18,522 Posts
Not sure ...Tonawanda is (was) the GM engine plant...I remember that my late 60s big block Chevy engines were built there

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it's better than nothing :)

I need the info in order to have the engine swap approved by the Norwegian government. Earlier owners never bothered with it, but I figured I wanted to do things by the law. I'll shoot the officials an email and ask if this info is enough.

·
Faith - Respect - Trust
3,528 Posts
Not sure ...Tonawanda is (was) the GM engine plant...I remember that my late 60s big block Chevy engines were built there
I hope the OP doesn't mind as this is not going to help him, just information.

If I'm correct, Poncho 62, (a you mentioned the word was) the Tonawanda plant is still operational and GM just invested nearly 1/2 a billion Dollars into it for a new generation of eco engines that are going into Caddi's...(still producing other engines as well).

I also remember having a GMC 3/4 ton in 1994 that had a Tonawanda 454 in it.

Great opening post though, kept me riveted to my seat, wondering how it was going to turn out.

Ray

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@69_widetrack: Thanks, and no, don't mind. My previous car, Chevy S10 Blazer was produced at a plant in Moraine, Ohio, which I believe was closed down not too many years ago. Good to know not all old plants are dying.

·
Administrator
18,522 Posts
I hope the OP doesn't mind as this is not going to help him, just information.

If I'm correct, Poncho 62, (a you mentioned the word was) the Tonawanda plant is still operational and GM just invested nearly 1/2 a billion Dollars into it for a new generation of eco engines that are going into Caddi's...(still producing other engines as well).

I also remember having a GMC 3/4 ton in 1994 that had a Tonawanda 454 in it.

Great opening post though, kept me riveted to my seat, wondering how it was going to turn out.

Ray
I wasnt sure if it was still open or not....and was too lazy to Google it.....:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Yes Tonawanda is still producing engines as mentioned. Last big block produced was mid December two years ago. After producing big blocks since 1958 (348-409. 366-502). Then changed the line to the modern engine.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Right, as I understand we are then talking about the following cars being offered with the CPY code in 1977:

Chevrolet Nova
Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Chevrolet Chevelle
Chevrolet Malibu (?)
Chevrolet Camaro
Buick Skylark
Pontiac Phoenix
Pontiac Firebird

Were the Tonawanda engines placed in all of these? So it's a wild guess?
Details here:

Small Block Suffix Code
6 Records

Code Year CID Vehicle HP RPO Trans Carb Comments
CPY 77 305 Pontiac 145 LG-3 TH 350 2-Brl Phoenix, Ventura II
CPY 77 305 Oldsmobile 145 LG-3 TH 350 2-Brl Omega
CPY 77 305 Nova 145 LG-3 TH 350 2-Brl
CPY 77 305 Chevelle 145 LG-3 TH 350 2-Brl
CPY 77 305 Camaro 145 LG-3 TH 350 2-Brl
CPY 77 305 Buick 145 LG-3 TH 350 2-Brl Skylark

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
My pleasure. You mentioned the "fading glow from 30 year old headlamps", but not much else in the way of clues to the model, etc. So tell us- what's this engine in?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My pleasure. You mentioned the "fading glow from 30 year old headlamps", but not much else in the way of clues to the model, etc. So tell us- what's this engine in?
Of course :) It's a 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix, originally delivered with a 3.8 Buick V6. Love the car, though it needs some work before I'll consider using it as a daily driver.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Of course :) It's a 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix, originally delivered with a 3.8 Buick V6. Love the car, though it needs some work before I'll consider using it as a daily driver.
Cool. A unique ride in Norway, I'd imagine.

Should you ever want to swap in a Pontiac engine, there are some guys here w/good info on them. A couple pages from the Crankshaft Coalition wiki:

Pontiac info/sites
Pontiac engine info

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Not sure how it works there but some places as long as the engine was the same as one that was optional for the vehicle there are no problems. Have you looked up the specs for the 305 that was available in the '79 grand Prix? The 3 letter code might be different but IIRC it would have been the same engine in all other respects. HP, TQ, compression, emissions equipment etc. That might help you get it approved. I had a '77 Camaro, a '78 Malibu and a '79 Camaro all with the exact same 305 2 barrels.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cool. A unique ride in Norway, I'd imagine.

Should you ever want to swap in a Pontiac engine, there are some guys here w/good info on them. A couple pages from the Crankshaft Coalition wiki:

Pontiac info/sites
Pontiac engine info
Yeah, it'll stand out in the parking lot of the local mall, that's for sure. While there are quite a few american car enthusiasts here, most don't use their cars as daily drivers. And the Grand Prix is not among the commonly owned cars, even within the enthusiast circle. This one was actually bought new in Norway in 1979.

I quite like the Chevy engines so think I'll probably stick with that, but thanks for the info. :)

Not sure how it works there but some places as long as the engine was the same as one that was optional for the vehicle there are no problems. Have you looked up the specs for the 305 that was available in the '79 grand Prix? The 3 letter code might be different but IIRC it would have been the same engine in all other respects. HP, TQ, compression, emissions equipment etc. That might help you get it approved. I had a '77 Camaro, a '78 Malibu and a '79 Camaro all with the exact same 305 2 barrels.
Yeah, it's much easier if the car was originally offered with the engine. The one in the car now is a 4 bbl, though, so it's not stock. I will have to ask them if it's close enough. Also, the engine is from '77 and the car is from '79, which might be in conflict with emission laws. I'll shoot them an email today and hear what they say.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Yeah, it'll stand out in the parking lot of the local mall, that's for sure. While there are quite a few american car enthusiasts here, most don't use their cars as daily drivers. And the Grand Prix is not among the commonly owned cars, even within the enthusiast circle. This one was actually bought new in Norway in 1979.

I quite like the Chevy engines so think I'll probably stick with that, but thanks for the info. :)

Yeah, it's much easier if the car was originally offered with the engine. The one in the car now is a 4 bbl, though, so it's not stock. I will have to ask them if it's close enough. Also, the engine is from '77 and the car is from '79, which might be in conflict with emission laws. I'll shoot them an email today and hear what they say.
If you would, please PM me when you get the details of registering the car and emissions requirements there in Norway. I'd like to put the details here. Or you can enter them yourself if you have the time.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,474 Posts
the problem I see. is this.. (please correct me if I'm wrong)
but a 1979 g/p v8 would've been a pontiac 301 and later years after the 301 was killed off the g/p used a olds 307.
the sbc 305 would've been in the malbu and monty..
350 in very few..
not sure if over there if the chevy was used in that body line (g-body) if that fly as ok.. plus.. if the 79 chevy g-body is anything like my 86 SS they can't see the engine under all the hoses anyways...
good luck.. think you're gonna find the chevy engine in the pontiac.. might give you problems over there.. again. unless because the chevy engine was in a "like car"(monty carlo) they let it go..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts