Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW, came to hotrodders site today and everything changed. I don't get it. Why would you change a proven format. This makes it very confusing and not user friendly. I am just shaking my head. most of us older guys are not that computer savvy and this just makes it harder. Again, I just don't get it!.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Its " progress" , in this profit driven world. Keep up or be pushed to the curb ! Everything is being " formatted" so the only way you can function in this world is by being interconnected with your personal electronics device 24/7 . What these dupes don't seem to understand is that by "adding features" & updating they're simply making it easier to display more advertisements & mine more personal info . Its pretty much electronic surveillance/ brainwashing run amuck ! But I'm just an old man , what could I possibly know ?

·
More for Less Racer
19,271 Posts
It's been explained for weeks now...too many security holes and problems in the old format software to keep it viable.

Just about every car forum on the web is or has had to make a switch.

There is a thread in the "Community Help" forum with guidance to help you get up to speed.

You can just say "screw-it" and never come back and go off to anothe forum...but they are/will be all making a similar switch or die, so you might as well learn to adapt....you had to adapt to computer use in the first place right:cool:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well in that case, it's bye bye for me. I have other things to do. It was fun while it lasted.

·
True Hotrodder
1,141 Posts
Just for the record - what makes it " very confusing and not user friendly "? And I don't mean that to be condescending either. If there is something that they can work on and change, I think they will at least give it a good try. But they need to know what that issue happens to be. Several people have stated, don't like it, I'm lost, this is no good, go back. There is no going back but it can possibly be improved. (yep - I'm speaking out of turn for the owners and admins but I believe I'm on the right path)

So far my experience has been for the better, I like a lot of things about it and I find it a lot easier to edit, add pictures and video than the old site by a long shot.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Most of it is lack of knowledge ( on my part) about the icons & terminology . I have a very good friend who is a programmer ( writes programs) , I made a mistake years ago when I asked him a computer question ,even though his answer was in English ,
I probably understood 1/100 the of what he said ! " Computer" is a different language , the more complicated it becomes , the less I understand ! Anymore , I just push buttons , if it doesn't work , oh well .. Example , see the string of symbols below this post , I can sort of identify 3 ...

·
Lost in the 60's
15,245 Posts
The problem with the old Vbulletin software was that the site owners had not paid for new updates for a long time.....if they had kept up with that annually and had the latest version it would be perfect. But they changed company's and what they have now really has a lot to be desired. I am Admin on a large fishing website and we have tried several different company's software and Vbulletin is very good. What they have now will take time to get used to.....some will love it and some will hate it. I will get used to it in time. I have been on this site a long time....charter member....former moderator....and one of the top posters. So....anyway....i am not leaving.

·
Capt Mike
253 Posts
Should have left the Format the same.

-Todays Posts

-less categories.

another website, that was

SAD...

·
Registered
69 Posts
My other go to forum, Tri-five.com also had this change a few weeks ago, and although alot of us old fogies didn't like the change, most are now getting used to it. In fact I find that I now really enjoy getting on the new site with it's fresh and clean format.

Sure, a number of things are different, but you don't need to have a computer degree to find your way through it. One word of caution though, don't click on the "recommended for you" as it will bring up a number of years old threads. Just click on the "new" and it should all be similar to what we had.

Hang in there, and you will soon get used to it.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,025 Posts
Well I see one thing and that is MORE ADS! Bigger ADS, and a membership structure that just screams "Only yhose who pay!!! Maybe I will get used to it maybe not... I spend way to much time online anyway:cool:

·
Grand Prix user
5,334 Posts
Well I see one thing and that is MORE ADS! Bigger ADS, and a membership structure that just screams "Only yhose who pay!!! Maybe I will get used to it maybe not... I spend way to much time online anyway:cool:
"Upgrade to premium"

Probably mostly means ad-free and is cheap. Free is the only way I am interested. Anything with an upgrade to premium option says to me the free will be going away. Thats just how I read that, anywhere.

"Why? Hard! Leaving."

Those are poison words to those members interested in sticking around. Speaking for only myself, every bit of the anti-site-you-are-posting-on or everyone-good-left-now-hate-all sentiment makes me want to leave. Its like a broken record that eventually plays at every site. Ugh. Like working next to a guy who badmouths your boss.

Thats my opinion and I am reluctant to give it but this crap is like being around your parents when they fight. Same creeps given. How many of you have had a wreck and had to drive a rental? Did you want to drive that econobox POS? Of course not, but you did.

Because that is whats currently available. The forum owner made a choice and probably gave it due consideration. You learn to ignore the chime and alarm and tablet in the dash and turn the radio off. Adjust the seat, mash random enigmatic buttons to work the A/C, now wheres cruise control? Get the manual out of the glovebox. Learn it and drive safe. Best the world can do for you guys right now, thats all. Try it or walk. It is a privelidge to use the site.

It is not my intent to instigate conflict nor support or condemn on either side of the fence, just expose another viewing angle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ha, Ha, Ha! Man, when I went to this site the other day I thought I was on the wrong site. I had to go back and retype it to make sure I didn't go to some other place. Then when I realized it was HotRodders I thought, " Oh gosh. Now what do I do. How do I do this or that." I guess I'll get it figured out but that also has it's pit falls because I'm more times than not afraid I might click on something and really mess things up. The problem I'm having is I can't see where to go to do anything like before. Like where are the catagory's of subjects, trans./rearends. Like this page is blank of things to direct me. Like these symbols at the bottom. " ? "

·
Grand Prix user
5,334 Posts
And in this corner !! ....LOL

LOL yep. I really don't feel strongly just have heard this stuff at every place and it twists my gut. Certainly wasn't taking potshots at Rip, I was composing that^^^ and forum alerted me that new posts had been made since I started writing. Asked if I wanted to read them before posting. Thats kinda handy. I did read. It was Rip. His post was a good launch pad for mine and we know one another just well enough to be on the same team. So I quoted him because I know him best out of you all, like standing next to your only friend at a new school.

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
I'm lost. does anyone have a map of the site. Stopped by, now i can't find my way out !!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I shouldn't say this because now I'll be targeted lol, but I don't see any ads anywhere. I did when the change first occurred, but.... Perhaps I'm special (don't think so), perhaps the owner/admins like us few Buick Nailhead owners and opted us out of the poor experience the rest of you are seeing (don't think so hehe).

==================

I'd ask that all of us give it a week or two. Offer constructive criticism and identify issues to the site admins that we, or you, need help with. And please keep this in mind, the members make the site, not the site admins. The moderators keep the peace and keep the type of members that make the site what it is. All of the moderators here are excellent at keeping the peace and sensibility among the members and should be commended IMO.

I'm here, and continue to come back, due to the wealth of knowledge shared, and the general atmosphere of shown between the members under the shroud of a common cause - all things cars and hotrodding.

GIVE IT A CHANCE please. Sit back, have a beer, cigar or whatever makes you happy and see how it turns out. I don't think is near as apocalyptic as my wife relocating the toilet paper to another closet. I lived through that and I think this won't be near as catastrophic

p.s. - I thought I'd try a photo drop - you, it's easier

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,295 Posts
I don't know what kind of "constructive criticism" I could give, every single thing about it is bad. I am just amazed how before you could see all the things you needed, they were just "there." Now you need to search around. One of the things that fascinates me about it is how EVERYTHING changed. Make it the same but with some changes, that makes sense. This is being thrown at the customer with no choice. Can you imagine if McDonalds did this? You walk in the place and the menu is completely different, they have a hamburger, but it's on toast now. The whole menu is different and it's not displayed the same, all the items are mixed up, the font is different. There is no yellow in the place, everything is now blue.

Can you imagine what would happen to sales?

I just don't get it. Other than, there are 10 people who regularly come here. They are looking at if they loose those 10 people but can get 100 others to this new fancy board then they have won, I guess if that's it they did their job.

Brian

·
Capt Mike
253 Posts
Just Bring Back the New Posts and Todays Posts

Everyone I know starts there...

I haven't tried a Search Yet, now there's a place that need help.

·
True Hotrodder
1,141 Posts
Just Bring Back the New Posts and Todays Posts

Everyone I know starts there...

I haven't tried a Search Yet, now there's a place that need help.

Try the "New" button at the top right. Then you can look at Popular and/or Looking for Replies. Same stuff basically, just different names.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,025 Posts
Well someone spoke up about the adds and how to block them. I went and got setup with Adblocker III. It did the trick of getting rid of all the nuisance ads. That fixed one complaint now on to the rest. The forum structure is a mess with tiny subforums and stuff just tossed about. It kind of looks like my daughters room when she was a teenager, Her junk was scattered everywhere. all this talk of adding more sub forums and such is in MHO insanity! I can no longer go to where content used to be I have to search all over for what I am looking for. This makes me sad because it looks like change just for the sake of change! I hear "Oh the old site was full of bugs and problems so we had to start all over. I thinks the problems with the old site was the lack of "Support from the owners" so what do they do? They give you a site all brand new with their own problems built in. They will do a few things then fade into the background with time and we will be left with a pile of new problems to start all over with and minimum support like the old forum was. The local moderators do a great job but Verticle scope leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth..

Am I a happy faced customer just because the owners bought new software? NO I do not like this mess of crap. Will I adjust.... I don't know when and if I leave you will never notice I am gone. What you will see is a slow death of a forum like I have seen many times before. So there is my prediction, It will happen eventually. I will not enjoy seeing a site slowly die but I believe that is what VS is looking for with their attitude!

So there I said what I think and I have said my last on this whole damn thing. I am tired of all the crap and I will vote with my conscience.. Nuff said and NO further comments from me.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts