Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car will NOT stay running once in a while i can get it to run for about 3 seconds( My cadillac eldorado 89' 4.5l) i it blow the most massive load of smoke and covers the whoole car in smoke, then apon trying to refire big blasts of fire shoo up thru the throttle body.So much that it lit one of my injector harnesses on fire....*** i am so confused..... i had i running about 2 weeks ago and it ran fine i even went for a drive... i tried to ajust the choke idel thing and theres not alot of difference....when i actually do get it to fire over it sounds like tractor type thing with a puffy type noise.....it cranks like a bugger and fuel pours like mad inbto the tb.. i havent checked the plugs since it runs and it ran very well... any ideas?

·
Registered
290 Posts
???????

I can't see adjusting the ISC motor causing that kind of problem. If they are out the engine will surge up & down trying to set a idle. Even if you adjusted it too far out TPS voltage would not cause this problem, but may be hard to start.
Have you checked and made sure nothing else like the coolant sensor might have got knocked loose or broken? That will cause a full rich condition.
Is it black smoke?

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no

Its like normal exaust just tons and tons.... how do i caheck the timing if it DOESNT run?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Timing

Doc Here:pimp:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

To Check your timing Properly, Try this:
  • Bring your #1 Cylinder up on Compression TDC.
  • Timing mark should be TDC
  • Both intake and exhaust valves should be closed (slight play in lifters)
  • Locate #1 Plug on the cap and check or set the rotor tang at that position.

After you have that right, Check your Firing order.

The spark plug locations are :

Driver's side front is #1,

Passengers side front is #2:

IE the left side will be 1 3 5 7,

The right side will be 2 4 6 8.

(Following,For Chevy's and most GM's:)

The Stock location of #1 plug on the Cap, should be, about 5 to 7 O'clock.

Direction of rotation is Clockwise.

Firing Order is: 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2. (see photo)

(if non Chevy refer to manual for direction and FO)

If you have this right, It should Fire right off!

Set your Timing with a light, check to see what the setting and at what rpm you need to be at for your engine, And be sure the Vacuum advance line (if so equipped) is removed and the Vacuum line is plugged.

IS THE SMOKE black or white? If black you have a Flood condition at the TBI...

Hope it Helps!

happy holidays!

Doc :pimp:

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks doc..

ill try that.. the smoke is very exaust like maybe a little white... and its like a allmost fire and then woof a cloud of smoke billows out like mad... usually then floowed by cranking then bang huge fire shoots out the top end... then e few more puff and then nothing cept cranking... then i adjust the idle thing and then soon enough about 10 secs of running with puffing popping nises and woof a huge bastard of a backfire while im soaking in fuel and alot of smoke....

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is VERY common for the coolant sensor to fail as Restore60s
posted, but it doesn't have to be physically damaged to be
bad. Try disconnecting the injectors then hold the gas pedal
to the floor (like the old days for flooded engines) and see
if it starts. If it starts it won't run long on the fuel that's in
the intake. If this works the sensor is your best bet and
cheap to replace. BTW Be sure to replace the sensor for
the ECM, not the temp Gage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts