Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SBC 283 for my 63 Nova. I want the extra accessory bolts but keep reading a lot of blogs stating I need to stick to 56cc heads.

Most newer heads are 64cc. If anyone has a good set of heads to recommend that worked well in a 283 with the accessory bolts I would really appreciate it.

My engine is bored 60 over with a stock crank and cam. I may have to switch out the cam but will keep it near stock. I also have a demon 4brl carb.

I don't need to race it out, but a little power and a smooth ride is my goal.

An advice is very much appreciated.

·
Beyond the Sea
170 Posts
The 305 Vortec heads are the heads you want. Here is the best thread about them: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/vortec-heads-12558059-305-5-0-a-125625.html
I use them on my 283, they are awesome. Pull strong all the way up as far as I dare to wind it, even with the tiniest of cams (Comp Cam 204H). 55cc so compression is still good, could shave them off a bit to get a little more CR.
The 1.84 intake valves are perfect, 1.94s would be too large, the low end torque would suffer and you need all the low end you can get with these little engines. Also, keep the cam small, these heads flow so much better that you dont need much cam to make lots of power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.