Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i see some concerning words. i must now ask you fellow engine builders, what is a hotrod? to you?

no use starting a poll,just tell me whatcha think.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
this the first time ive asked it!

i think i have been giving people te wrong advice

POP!-

im sick of your additude. you dont play well with others, and this is a community.

with 2000 posts a year do you have time to work in a garage.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
It was a joke, get bent.

Why dont you try posting in the proper forum and reading the guidelines before you litter this forum with your posts.

Geez.

K:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
the litter is ugly

how can i move the thread to the lounge. i can ask all the seasoned engine builders there.

·
Registered
154 Posts
a hotrod to me. is any car thats custom but you built it with your own 2 hands and had help or did it all by yourself. nothing store bought and something no one else has.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Well, according to Princeton University a hotrod is:

hot rod also hot-rod (htrd)
n. Slang
An automobile that has been rebuilt or modified to increase its speed and acceleration.

hot-rod v.
hot rodder or hot-rodder n.

:)

However I am sure everyone has their own personal definition.

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,411 Posts
Taken from the Guidelines for posting on this site:
Don't get off-topic. You can chit-chat all you like in the Hotrodders' Lounge. The tech forums are for on-topic technical discussions.
:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: ::pimp:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
what is a hot rod

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
My 94 Thunderbird, with 3.8 liter V-6 has a K&N air filter and a JET computer chip. Technically, may I call that a hot rod?

·
Hauling A55 BURNING GASS!!!
235 Posts
umm i dont know about that^

i asked this question not to long ago. but it was what is your deffinition of a hotrodder. same thing almost. well i say a hotrod is a car/truck that someone has modified to go fast. looks nice. umm i dont know what else to say but that i think the car has to be old too. i like the 50's cars. i think those are hotrods just as long as it isnt stock anymore.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
hot rod, custom made/modified car, although I cant really say modified import is hot rod, but some people say it. its wrong, they should just be called tuners/sport compacts no hot rods. Hot rods were 50-60's cars and should stay that way, no 1995 integra with intake should be hot rod

·
Hauling A55 BURNING GASS!!!
235 Posts
i forgot to add something. but it also has to be a v8 or better. no 6er or 4 banger is ever going to be considered a hotrod. NEVER

·
Registered
25 Posts
Brian Morency said:
i forgot to add something. but it also has to be a v8 or better. no 6er or 4 banger is ever going to be considered a hotrod. NEVER
Hmmm- see, I have issue with that- isn't a buick grand national a hot rod? I certainly think so! There was the OFFY flathead 4 that was the actual start of the hot rod era- before the ford V8 flathead even.

This post is somewhat like asking "what is love" - folks have written poems and songs and killed over it without ever coming to a firm conclusion LOL

That being said, I will take a stab at it LOL

I think it is a state of mind toward your vehicle, the vehicle gets the name from you, not vice versa- the car is not a "hot rod" unless the owner is a "hot rodder"- someone that loves his car and treats it like a hobby and pastime, not a job or money maker.

I love my 69 Coronet and 67 Valiant and have an emotional/nostalgic attachement to them. Some guys have the same toward thier Honda- and therefore, it becomes a hot rod- and I think it must be modified, however slightly, to findly bend into the definition. My wife loves her mini-van, but couln't tell you where to put the oil- NOT a hot rod- however, if I were to add a few ponies to it and she took it drag racing on the weekend, it becomes a hot rod.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
what is a hot rod?

Cruising Ram, very insiteful thinking. Good idea.
Actually, this debate started some 30 or so years ago, and it started as what was the difference between a street rod and a hot rod. Back then it seems that concept was that a hot rod was a vehicle built somewhere back prior to 1950, and a street rod is anything later, in chassis and body.
In the general vernacular of hot rod, I contend that its any vehicle that has been modified from its production condition.
Im not sure I would call a vehicle with just a fancy paint job and some body customizing a hot rod, as the term emplies modifications to the engine.
That being said, whether its a 2 liter 2000 Honda (yuck), with a modified computer, or a 502 Gorilla block, with all the whistles and bells, technically, it does become a hot rod.
As for the comment that it has to be a V-8 doesnt hold water, since most of the first hot rods were Model T 4 holers, with Rajo heads, igloo water pumps, winfield carbs, etc etc etc.
Its like Jazz. Someone once asked Louie Armstrong what Jazz was. His reply was if you have to ask you will never know.

As for what is a hot rodder, that is easier to define.
Its a person that takes a production vehicle and makes changes to it so it will perform as he desires it to, altering the engine, suspension, custom body work.
A true hotrodder is not arrogant concerning brands or type of engine, and while he may talk smak about blowing your doors off, also respects what you have done to your vehicle, and appreciates the work, and TLC, you have put into it.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for moving this thread. i wasnt aweare of the lounge.

i will always try to be respectful of your forums. i agree with what everyone is saying. i asked this because some advice people were giving was more race car than hotrod. in the eyes of the beheld, its easy to see ,the line blurs. unfortunately so does the physics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
NOT AGAIN!!!

You were kidding by starting this question again right?

The last time it was started...eh..a week or so ago, it caused all sorts of unwarranted drama and disrespect...much like you showed Killerformula towards the beginning of your thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts