Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
sticker removal

I've used a hair dryer to get it started(heat guns can be risky), once started from top have a squirt bottle of varsol and trickle a little between the sticker and paint. Leave it sit for a little bit and generally it will begin to loosen off. continue adding a little varsol as needed, still warming with the hair dryer will speed up the process. Depending on how long the sticker has been on there generally means it will be a touch brittle and job will be a little more tedious.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Decals are tough especialy old ones,you can save the paint but no matter what you do you'll see the decal if you dont prime.you'll have to try all the methods and see what one will work for your situation...thats what us pro's have to do but it'll be tough going theres no ez way and if you dont prime and repaint you will definetly see them through the new paint no matter how clean you think you got it.I feel for ya...wish I knew a trick but I've never found one.Sorry :( do check out Jons wiki but with a grain of salt theres good info there but not all of it

·
Registered
53 Posts
What we use

At work we use the "crud thug" with the rubber wheel that goes to it. As long as you dont hold it too long in one spot you can wipe all the crap off with a little wax and grease remover when your done and buff. The key is not to let it get hot. Its very easy to use.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Modern_twist said:
theres a couple of companies that make it including snap on heres a pic of one i found online. When the rubber still has its "teeth" they remove decals fast.
wow,something new? how well does this thing work?It looks like a 400.00 tool with a 20.00 wheel I'd buy the wheel and adapt it too my 4" hf air grinder I bought for 40.00...Snap on dont make anything they just snap their name on ....and charge three times the value,all their air tools are made in Japan ....well they were anyway, probably made in China now,The last tool I bought off the truck was a 1/4" air ratchet 150.00 it lasted 6 mo they wouldnt replace it so I bought two at HF for 9.99 ea. that was a year ago and the second one is still in the box waiting.The snap on man kept comming by every week tring to sell me stuff for months till I told him I'd never buy another tool fom him.some of their tools are exellent but ALL are overated and overpriced. my humble opinion.... based on facts .great tool boxs too ,but still.......overpriced, a status symbol ,kinda like having the best lawn in the neighborhood. :pimp:I guess yall can tell how I feel about the big top heavy companies ripping off the working man ,Sorry

·
Colorsanding painter
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No concerns about refinishing it. Just removing the old crusty decals. I've removed a few of the big ones using a 3M Stripe Off wheel. It took nearly three hours on each one. I'll check out the Wiki. Mr Deadbodyman, you seem to always have the right answer.

Thanks to everybody for past and future responses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.