Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'd Rather Be Blown
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Camaro. i am doing a full restoration (see my photos) anyway i am now to driving stage and the posi is not posi-ying or how ever you say that.
i know its posi because when jacked up in neutral the tires spin the same way. When in 1st gear they spin opposite direction with very little effort.
So i pulled the cover to see what I could see. The only stamped numbers that I can find are on the ring (137-11GM 668 A N) the 1 is kinda faint. Ring is 37 pinion is 11 so 3.36 to 1... i am OK with that.. what type of posi do i have.... I have wiped it all clean and all i can find is a faint cast number on the back side of the ring plate (it looks kinda like( 10) maybe (18) then a blemish after the 0.. or 8?? nothing defined. I can't find anything else .
the diff housing has the letter N on top of the pinion. no stamped numbers.
my understanding is that it is a 7.5 of 7.65 " ring gear from the small **** on the bottom of the pumpkin. any way to tell with out pulling it.
I am hoping to get the rebuild kit before i pull it. to limit down time.

Can anyone tell me what i have :confused:.
Is it a posi or a limited slip???? is nit worth saving or am i better to just up grade????? and is it OK to run as a driver maybe a once or twice on the track for fun? (M22) 4 speed, 245-60X15 rear...

I have been on Google for hours and could not find a picture of it???

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I believe that is a 4 pinion cone clutch diff. If the wheels spin different directions when in gear it is a very worn out posi and not really rebuildable with normal methods.

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,719 Posts
Someone has put a first gen Firebird rear end in your Camaro. That is the 8.2 BOP 10 bolt, not the Chevy 10 bolt. These are about 1 inch wider than the Camaro rear end. The differential is the Borg Warner cone type limited slip (posi) differential with 4 pinion gears. This can be reconditioned, but probably only one time. There is a place in Ohio that reconditions them called Pontiac Posi Rebuilders. Their number is 330 799 4619. You can not get a rebuild kit for the differential, but you can get a rebuild kit for the rear end. The axles are bolted in and do not have c clips.

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,719 Posts
Freddie;

Man you should write a book
I actually started one several years ago but gave up because I didn't know how to do it. I know what I wanted to put in it, but I didn't know how to put it all together. At that time there were no books available on rear end, but now there are at least 3.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts