Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,303 Posts
It is a DIY, build-it-at-home EFI computer. You can buy it as a complete unit, as a solder-yourself complete kit, or just buy the schematics and buy the parts at Radio Shack and build it.

Very simple, but very competent. I plan on buying one for a marine engine. They also make one that controls fuel and spark, and they also have one to control electronic transmission shifting.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
919 Posts
Yes, everything curtis73 said, except I don't think you would want to try to build it from scratch without a prepackaged kit. Not sure how far they've developed the transmission shifting portion either. The kits come with the case and custom breadboard to solder all the parts on. I don't think you can get the processor anywhere other than on of the suppliers either, and that's the brains of the whole operation. It's more of a learning project than a plug and play. You need to be able to solder, read schematics, FOLLOW INSTRCUTIONS TO THE LETTER, and be somewhat computer savy. Not to mention understand how an engine works and will respond to different operating parameters. I built one last winter and it was the first time I ever tried building anything like that and only the second time messing with fuel injection.

Here's the motor firing up on the megasquirt for the first time. You can see the laptop on the table running the software:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2083117858106225418

Heres where I bought the basic kit. you'll need all the other hardware to make up the EFI system too.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtii-engine-management-system-wpcb3-unassembled-p-59.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah as above - I built the first version from a kit, I'm a sparky so didn't have too many dramas with the assembly. Would recommend buying a built and tested version if you are not confident with a soldering iron. Plenty of places are selling built units for around $100 extra. Tell them what application you want to use it for and they will build it to suit. (figuring out what version / build you need is the biggest drama)

At the moment I'm only using it for spark control, using a ford edis6 module and crank wheel.

Cheap way of doing things + you'll learn heaps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am running a Megasquirt 2 on a 1996 Chevy 454 Vortec engine in a 59' Chevy Truck. This EFI controller has everything I needed for my setup, it controls fuel, ignition timing, Tcc lockup, and my Electric fan! Soldering the board was fairly easy, the tuning process is somewhat difficult, but all in all I thinks its great!

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
chrisape - can you tell more about what difficulties you had in tuning the MS system? I'm looking at going this route with a Caddilac 500 controlling stock FI setup plus ignition. Any light you can shed would be appreciated.
Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tuning is tricky, I followed the mega-manual for tuning and it runs decent. I am along way from it running like your everyday GM truck. Its way rich, and my timing map is not right yet, spark knock under load. I plan on doing my tuning this summer to get it right. I had a few setbacks this past summer as the 700R4 I built burned up twice from the wrong boost valve! Tuning help is available on the MS forum, Lance was a great help for me. Your initial timing and fuel maps will make the engine run, but there are lots of variables to make it run right. Good luck on your project, I would recommend MSII, its just gonna take some time to get it 100% tuned!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.