Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
T350 for around 450 horse and less street motors.
t400 for 450 and above or hi rpm laqunches(but its heavier than the t350.
Or the 700r4 is good because of the overdrive and the low gear makes up for gearing, but its expensive to build for hi horsepower aplications. HG

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
What is the tranny going in? What will it be used for? What do yo mean by "better"?

Royce

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Johnny 5

The tranny will be used for street/strip, and what is with the 700R when you talk about the lower gear? Is it better for draging?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Tranny?

The 700r4 `s low 1st gear ratio will give a decient launch without changing rear end ratio,keeping it very streetable. Include a good street strip shift kit and you should be happy.:thumbup:

·
Too many hobbies!
239 Posts
I agree with Jerry. The 700 will launch better than a 350, with the lower 1st gear. Plus, with the O/D, you can put in a deep rear gear, and still enjoy driving it down the highway.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The bad thing about the 700R4 for drag racing is, since the 1st gear is so steep, there is a big drop from 1st to 2nd. Not ideal for drag racing. The 700's aren't very strong either. We would really have to know the rest of your combination to tell you which is "better" for you car. If you have big power, you can't beat a 400 for durability, the th350 is noce but, somewhat limited on how much power it will take. The sprag will only take so much in a th350. The 200-4R would be a better choice if you want OD. They aren't cheap though.

The bad thing about the 700R4 for drag racing is, since the 1st gear is so steep, there is a big drop from 1st to 2nd. Not ideal for drag racing. The 700's aren't very strong either. We would really have to know the rest of your combination to tell you which is "better" for you car. If you have big power, you can't beat a 400 for durability, the th350 is noce but, somewhat limited on how much power it will take. The sprag will only take so much in a th350. The 200-4R would be a better choice if you want OD. They aren't cheap though.

·
Too many hobbies!
239 Posts
Hey camaroman, you seem to have a lil echo. Might try turning your gain down a lil.:D

Just givin ya chit.:thumbup: Good solid advice, as usual.:thumbup:

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
I had a built 700R4 in a nova with around 375 hp, and I loved it. I never had a problem with the longer jump between first and second gear as long as I shifted where I was supposed to. You can get 700 r4's that are recommended up to 800 hp. but you will pay for it.

Check out the 700 Raptor and the 700 mega raptor

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperflist.htm

Adam

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
What makes the 200-4R "better" is the fact they make a lot of aftermarket billet parts for them. The aftermarket parts are what makes it possible to build them stronger. If we are talking in stock form the the only tranny that can really take abuse is the 400.

You will have guys tell you they can build th350's that will take 700HP but, see if they will offer a warranty too. NOPE they won't stand behind it. I have broken several th350's with 500HP they just won't live. The 700r4 are even weaker than a th350. I wanted to have a 700R4 built before and the shop wouldn't do it, they told me it won't take the abuse and there are too many plastic parts in it to make it strong. If you don't shift them manually they will live longer, just put them in drive and go.

The shift drop from 1st to 2nd is a fact. If you are going to drag race that is not desreable at all.

Royce

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I second everything Royce said and I'll go further into it.

What does the car need to be reliable?

Are you willing to compromise reliability for performance?

What do you intend to do with the car?

Are you willing to compromise performance and reliability for versatility?

How much are you willing/able to pay?

It's all the same stuff you have to ponder when you change anything on a car.

The prices run anywhere from $500 for a locally rebuilt TH350 up to $5000 for one of this guys transmissions.
http://www.fbperformance.com/

If you want the strength and an overdrive you can call Chris at CK Performance for a TH2004R that will set you back around $6k with a matching converter.

Performance, durability, utility and necessity. You have to decide which is more important and how much of each can you afford.

Larry

·
Registered
379 Posts
NO other GM tranny can give you a better 60 foot time than the 700R4 due to its low first gear! as said earlier the overhaul ET suffers a bit because of its rpm shift drop from 1-2. as an experienced tranny builder myself and owner of one since 1989 I can tell you it will NOT handle much over 500HP if you retain the lockup! if your Hp is expected to be at that? get a custom made torque converter! there is a place here in tampa,FL. called tampa torque that can build you one Nitrous ready for about $350-375.00. I send all my customers to them!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts