Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were to enter a demoliton derby in the near future, what type of vehicle would you use? I myself would try to find a old Cadillac El Dorado, or a early 70's Chyrsler Imperial. :thumbup:

·
a.k.a. Rusty Shackelford
226 Posts
Chyrsler Imperials are the way to go. Check with the pople putting on the derby before you buy the car though, some contests have outlawed them.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Imperial,also.I read a few articles on Demolition Derbies tha mentioned the ban on Imperials.They have rules against what kind of car,can destroy another.Funny.They have a few School Bus derbies here every year.Just have not been to see one yet though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No doubt the Imperials kill! The "outlawed" story is ture......

I don't know how many "freebies" are still kicking around, but the Full Size Ford LTDs and Mercs from 73-78 and T-Birds from 73-76 are pretty tough old beasts.

A lot of them had 460s so they can pack a pretty good "punch".;)

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
Ponch's got the right idea. A buddy of mine used a few 58 tbirds, they were Tough! I painted them, we stuck 3 speed standard transmissions in them, tough cars. He also had a 57 Ford 2dr. wagon we used:pain: that was bad to the bone. This was about 12 years ago or so and he's still paying the price, physically. Chrysler Imperials are the toughest I've seen, like the other guys said, outlawed most everywhere. Dan

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
What ever you don't use your Shelby in a demo durby....I will give you my Riv instead...it is a winner...don't crash the rustang...I'll give it a good home!!! LOL

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
ya just need a bigger hammer
46 Posts
herse! it's allready experienced death and it probably giggled.
I see allot of 72-77 caprice,impala wagons .Why? I dont know they just seem to work well in this application.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Are you considering entering one?

If you haven't done it before enter a mid size class. Running with big cars can really ruin your day with the minor injuries you can get from the harsh impacts the heavy cars give.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Ghetto Jet said:
Are you considering entering one?

If you haven't done it before enter a mid size class. Running with big cars can really ruin your day with the minor injuries you can get from the harsh impacts the heavy cars give.
No, see he's only gonna own the car and cash in the winner prize. He's gonna find himself a 16 year old boy that dropped school and is desperate for money and pay him $7 a race plus a hot dog and a coke:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mike

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The big caddys are good, I see more rwd win than eldos tho. The kind of car you get won't mean squat if you don't prep it right. And get at least a couple buddys to do it with you. Not only is guzzlin beer and getting the cars ready a hoot, you have a much better chance with team mates.
I won a demo with a 76 Grenada once.
A few pointers;
Tube the tires
Weld the spider gears
Battery and gas tank inside the car
Disconnect the tranny cooler from the radiator and loop the line
Cheat, just kidding but do what Smokey Y. did and interpret the rules to mean you can do anything unless it says you can't.

And make sure you get the rules before you build the car. Don't do like J.J. and have to cut some big cow catcher off at the track.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts