Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me the purpose of this black cylinder? There are 2 lines going to the gas tank: 1 goes, predictably, to the fuel pump. the other seems to be connected to this sucker. What is it?

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
It is an evaporative charcoal cannister. It collects gasoline vapor from the fuel tank vent, collects it in a charcoal filter, and allows it to be sucked back into the carb instead of evaporating.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is an evaporative charcoal cannister. It collects gasoline vapor from the fuel tank vent, collects it in a charcoal filter, and allows it to be sucked back into the carb instead of evaporating.
I see. Except that in my case it is not connected to the carb correct? So what happens to it in this case? That vapor just gets further evaporated from it somehow?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Last time I heard that question was sometime in the early '70s. That can is a reason my home town (Los Angeles) was a bit less smoggy in 1980 than it was in 1970, and if properly used it cost nobody a lick of HP although they were routinely disconnected back when. Believe-it-or-not my 496 Hemi Challenger has one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.