Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone only installed one of the bolts that holds the steering column to the floorboard. I tried the one bolt that was installed in all the holes and it fit each one without trouble. The problem I'm having is that I can't find this size bolt anywhere, even on the internet. Can someone shed some light on this? I've posted a picture below. I think this would make this bolt a M6-1.75x20, but that doesn't seem to exist anywhere.

Thanks,

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
It's an automotive body bolt and washer that is most likely available at any automotive parts store in your area, such as Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, O'Reilly's Auto Parts, Genuine Auto Parts (NAPA) or others. They will have a bolt and nut section that you can search through.

Since there was only one bolt in the assembly, I might suspect that the other one was stripped out in the floorboard and that's the reason it was missing. You may have to do some surgery or other retro-fitting with another size bolt or even a bolt and nut arrangement.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
wrecking yard.

those are sometimes carried by auto body shops. usually one of the old time mechanics has a bucket of bolts. pulled off wrecked cars.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I found out from a response on another forum. In case this might help someone else, I'll post what I found. This is a sheet metal screw, not a regular bolt. The size is 6.3-1.81 x 20mm. The original GM part# is 11505022. Be careful because it seems some websites have the Incorrect GM part number listed as GM# 11500970.

·
Administrator
8,252 Posts
Ace Hardware will have them or something real close.
The "real close" thing doesnt fly for me. I needed some GM screws for my 64.
I could not find anything that would work correctly for my car.
I found some OE pieces that work exactly like they should.

Nothing like OE stuff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts