Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these with my Edelbrock intake manifold and just wondered what they are called and what does one use as a driver for them? I'm not going to use them (I got stainless bolts - these are just coated) but I'm curious because I've never run into this head before.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
that looks like a 12 point flange cap screw..use a regular 12 point socket on them..quite common in apps where slippage of the drive tool is unacceptable..FYI they are available in stainless from McMaster Carr and I suspect from other suppliers in Grade 8 as well..Not really necessary on a hot rod but they look cool..

Sam

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
12 point regular socket is what i always use

same as the clamp pinch bolt on the steering box rag joint assemblies

and on ford trucks 97 and such years crossmember bolt heads for the transfercase and tranny

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
I suppose the three dots represents a Grade 5 fastener, I'm not familiar w/ "08" or "80" (8.8, etc. is metric, Gr.8 is six marks). Anybody? :confused:

Anyway, often, a 12-point hex will be a reduced size from what would ordinarily be used to drive them.

The newer SBC head bolts for instance, are flanged 1/2" hex- flanged to better distribute the pressure. They were a 5/8" hex head, non flanged. This was fine for the most part, but did require the OEM rocker arms to be loosened before those head bolts could be turned. Of course, the aftermarket has had smaller heads available- for a price.

IIRC, some U-joints used them, too.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cobalt327 said:
I suppose the three dots represents a Grade 5 fastener, I'm not familiar w/ "08" or "80"
It looks like an 8 or 08 in the picture but under a good magnifying glass it is actually the letters DB. And there are definitely 3 dots under that which I would also assume means a grade 5.

So is it just a matter of going through the 12 point sockets until you find the one that fits?

·
Registered
369 Posts
cboy said:
I got these with my Edelbrock intake manifold and just wondered what they are called and what does one use as a driver for them? I'm not going to use them (I got stainless bolts - these are just coated) but I'm curious because I've never run into this head before.

This looks like a flanged-head bolt from the Darling Bolt company in Michigan(?). I believe the dots are a manufacturing symbol to trace the foundry where they were made.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.