Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

1950 FORD CUSTOM DELUXE, 2 dr sedan, straight body, no eng, no trans, needs full int work, great solid car, extra parts, $3,000

I called to ask the seller some questions. They own two other custom deluxe cars so i am worried that this car will be missing alot more than they say it is.
From what i was told. all the pieces are present for the exterior. All the glass is there as well.

Interior is only missing the door panels but definitely need to be upholstered.
Do you think this car just by looking at it and reading the description is worth $3000? it seems like alot of rust for a California car, supposedly originally a CA car and is registered as nonoperational

·
Registered
547 Posts
It does look pretty solid,, but we are looking at a picture, could be some hidden rust,, a car that old is gonna have some rust somewhere, just how much,, 3000, doesn't sound too bad,, but I would offer him 2.. and maybe he would settle for 25,, If he tells you all the parts are there.. be sure to hold him to his word,,
are you able to go look at the car in person? or is this a E/Bay find??
the custom delux is the model that has the stainless all the way around the lower part of the body,, very sporty car,,,

·
Lost in the 50s!
758 Posts
Maybe its just me, but it looks like a lot of things missing in that picture (I.E. Chrome on the side, glass, grill, etc.).

Double check to see that everything is indeed there and in good shape and always, always, always, offer less than they are asking.

Are parts hard to find for that year/model? Is there a good supply of aftermarket parts?

For my 56 F-100 you can buy everything except the cab new and that has patch panels available.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The back end of the front fender showing is rotten and covered by a patch made from a garbage can or somethin'. I wouldn't touch that thing without an in person inspection...and a good numbers matching title.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
$3000 for a fairly solid car is a fair price, $2500 would be a good deal for a solid car. Rocker sills, bottom of front fenders and trunk floors seem to be the first to rot. These make very cool kustoms, I'd bet it sells quickly. Dan

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Riot Racing said:
it seems like alot of rust for a California car, supposedly originally a CA car
If it has been anywhere near the coast for any length of time bathing in those refreshing ocean breezes (re: salt air) it could have a LOT of rust and in some very hard to repair places. A guy here bought a '70 Cuda from photos that had "never been out of California". They failed to mention it had been on the coast it's entire life. When it got here it even had pin holes rusted through the roof.

A friend bought a one owner 17,000 mile '69 Chevelle SS 396/375HP years ago out of North Carolina. It had been near the coast since new and had holes rusted through the drip rails, the rain gutter around the trunk opening and across the top of the cowl under the hood. The floors and 1/4's were solid as a rock but anywhere rain water collected was perforated.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Shoebox Ford, whats it worth?

Just my 2 cents worth, thats not even a candidate for a parts car, let alone the asking price. Keep lookin'.

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
Lots of people have started with a lot less than that.........although, I feel 3K is a bit pricey.......but, prices are inflated these days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The body looks rough in the picture. Even with all the parts that are missing, if they have all of it, $2500.00 tops. More than that and walk away. The 49-50 fords are still pretty common but not enough to inflate the prices to Merc like figures. :sweat:

·
oldsmobile compatible
166 Posts
All the chrome may be there as he says, but it might be the old stuff off his other car that he replaced with the better chrome from this one.

So inspect the chrome I say.

P.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
my friend sold a solid restorable '53 Crestline Victoria with a Flathead V8/ 3spd overdrive for less than his 3k asking price, had all good trim/ chrome too.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
steve t said:
thats a rat rod for sure,but would take a lot of sanding before rust is gone, maybe even sandblasting,
This thing is definately going to need to be sandblasted. And i am sure that there are going to be tons of pin holes. Im more worried about some major cancer...

Im so busy these days it hard to make time to go look at a car that is barely worth it. The seller also didn't seem like they wanted to budge on the price much

·
Registered
13 Posts
Keep lookin....3k for starts, 3k for prep and paint, 3k for chevy drive line,, etc, etc.

For that kind of money, may as well start with a Merc !!!!!

As we say in our Merc circles....when ya puts 15K in a 50 Ford, you still have a 50 Ford....

Put l5K in an old Merc, you gots a legend......

OK a little teasing to the Shoebox crowd..

3K is too much, keep looking.....

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mrmercthree said:
Keep lookin....3k for starts, 3k for prep and paint, 3k for chevy drive line,, etc, etc.

For that kind of money, may as well start with a Merc !!!!!

As we say in our Merc circles....when ya puts 15K in a 50 Ford, you still have a 50 Ford....

Put l5K in an old Merc, you gots a legend......

OK a little teasing to the Shoebox crowd..

3K is too much, keep looking.....
I completely agree with you in terms of the merc. I have been mildly looking for a car to customize for 3 yrs now. Merc's are number in my book. I think i am going to lay off the chop top project for a while and finish turbo charging my BMW. Thanks for everyones help.

In a few yrs i will have much more skills, tools and connections to get a nice custom car done.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Don Lyon said:
Just my 2 cents worth, thats not even a candidate for a parts car, let alone the asking price. Keep looking'.

Agree,
It is nothing more than a parted out parts car used to fix his other two cars.
This body style is very common setting in back of yards as you drive the country roads and have seen a lot nicer ones (drivable) for 1,000-2500 many of times.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would seriously pass on this one for that money . There are alot of shoebox rollers for that money out there in alot better condition.gluck in yer search.if I can help. let me know. swaZZie

1 - 20 of 24 Posts