Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
lever

its the shift lever that attachs to the tranny.. ck your column and see if someone cut it off inside the car, then someone put in that column..after the car was done.. u have floor shifter for auto on yours..

·
Administrator
8,552 Posts
Floor shift cars back then still had the rod to the steering column to turn the upper collar by the key . They just eliminated the shifter on the column, but the moving parts for the ignition and shift lock will still there and were functionable to provide security .

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its the shift lever that attachs to the tranny.. ck your column and see if someone cut it off inside the car, then someone put in that column..after the car was done.. u have floor shifter for auto on yours..
Oh, so you are saying it is for a steering column shifter? I guess since I have a floor shifter it is pretty much useless. I guess that is not the original steering column either?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Floor shift cars back then still had the rod to the steering column to turn the upper collar by the key . They just eliminated the shifter on the column, but the moving parts for the ignition and shift lock will still there and were functionable to provide security .
Do you mean security as in keeping the steering column from impaling me in a wreck?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Safety interlock. On some cars(like mine), this also controls the back up lights and nuetral safety switch.

Also a theft deterant, the key only comes out in park, and the shifter is locked in park

The column has to be broken to be able to shift the car out of park.

If it doesnt interfere with your exhaust, or any othre mod, I'd find one and reconnect it.

Oh yeah, it prevents the steering from being locked unless the car is in park. Right now the car could be shut off while in motion.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting, I always thought the car just did not have back up lights and I could just start the car up in drive, came in handy when my cold engine stalled out at stop signs. I also found it neat how I could leave the engine running and pull out the keys so I could open the trunk.

What does the part look like?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Its called a back-drive assembly, I'd check local salvage yards to get the whole thing. Consists of a couple of rods, shift lever,(might still be on transmission) frame bracket(may still be on car)

Here's the whole assembly from a GTO. Firebird is probably a little different(shorter) Some of these parts can be sourced thru Reproduction companies like Year One, NPD, etc.

·
33 Pontiac 3W Sport Coupe
119 Posts
Its called a back-drive assembly, I'd check local salvage yards to get the whole thing. Consists of a couple of rods, shift lever,(might still be on transmission) frame bracket(may still be on car)

Here's the whole assembly from a GTO. Firebird is probably a little different(shorter) Some of these parts can be sourced thru Reproduction companies like Year One, NPD, etc.
WINNER, WINNER Chicken Dinner!!!!! :D :D
As FRMSTRRACER said it's a back drive system. From 1969-thur the 80's at least GM cars. That arm was on both auto and manual trans. It controled the key lock, steering wheel lock, nuteral safety switch, and reverse lights switch.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks it's not a priority but if ever i'll see if I can get one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.