Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
NEVER SATISFIED !!
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone must know just what this thing is and what it's used for. I DON'T !!

It's been in my "stuff" box for a couple of years now. The name on the plate is AREO-MOTIVE with a stamped model number of 5FAM.

Any ideas guys and gals ?

THANKS !

454 RATTLER

Attachments

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
My best shot is Static Discharge Reel. Housing is grounded to pole or post or whatever, clamp is reeled out and attached to aircraft while you're working on it, to prevent static sparks that could cause an explosion or maybe wreck delicate instruments aboard.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,073 Posts
It's an offloader, used on an assembly line to offset the weight of a heavy tool (like an air ratchet or something) to avoid repetitive stress syndrome injuries. The clip hooks into the tool and the cable is spring loaded to allow the tool to be moved into position while the spring and cable offset the weight.

·
NEVER SATISFIED !!
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My best shot is Static Discharge Reel. Housing is grounded to pole or post or whatever, clamp is reeled out and attached to aircraft while you're working on it, to prevent static sparks that could cause an explosion or maybe wreck delicate instruments aboard.
I gave it to a guy that was in the Air Force and he had no idea what it is.

I was thinking along the lines of what Joe_padavano is saying but everyone else thought it's for hanging your laundry or walking the dog. (and these people are in our car group).

I looked up the web site before I asked you guys but, I didn't get the info that killeratrod found.

Now I just need the time to go through the site and see if it's worth anything.

Thanks for the info. You guys are GREAT.

454 RATTLER

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
tool balancer

Some of them are adjustable for different weight's of tools. I used a lot of them when designing assembly work stations. They are also used on radial arm saws to retract the saw after making a cut. Osha regs require a RA saw to return to the rest position.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very possible it is a tool balancer but it could also be a fall protection device (yoyo) that would attach to a full body harness or safety belt in the old days.
If the cable spools out easily I would lean that direction, if it is hard to pull out or is adjustable as far as how hard to pull out it is it could be a tool balancer.

Dean.:welcome:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Very possible it is a tool balancer but it could also be a fall protection device (yoyo) that would attach to a full body harness or safety belt in the old days.
If the cable spools out easily I would lean that direction, if it is hard to pull out or is adjustable as far as how hard to pull out it is it could be a tool balancer.

Dean.:welcome:
Go to aero motive Web site it has picture ,decription and intended use ,listed as a weight balancer,but it has ben discontinued does not meet Material Saftey Data ( OSHA )

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hmmmm, shows you what I know.:rolleyes:
Actually aircraft grounding wire reels do look very simular. The give away that it was not a ground wire reel was the data plate that gave a weight capacity and a grounding wire would have a copper or copper coated squeeze clamp instead of a caribiner. I only worked on airplanes and helicopters for about 20 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know what that is

When using heavy hand tools on an overhead man lift, this is hooked on the lift. The tool is connected to the recoil lanyard. If you drop a tool, it keeps an idiot below from getting hit in the head. You Should try one of these with a pipe wrench! Makes the tool useless.
Kiachu

·
Registered
15,620 Posts
When using heavy hand tools on an overhead man lift, this is hooked on the lift. The tool is connected to the recoil lanyard. If you drop a tool, it keeps an idiot below from getting hit in the head. You Should try one of these with a pipe wrench! Makes the tool useless.
Kiachu
That would ruin the old joke about an mechanic working above a welder. After the mechanic drops his wrench for umpteenth time narrowly missing the welder, he comes down to retrieve the wrench only to find it welded to the deck.

I heard this working in missile silos but seems to also fit shipyards and high iron construction.

Somebody's going to yell at you and now me for opening up an old thread. The web has gifts that just keep on giving.

Bogie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.