Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is This Third Port On My New SBC Fuel Pump? (Pic)

The picture is of my new fuel pump. It's an A/C Delco unit for an 86 Caprice with a 350. It has a third port in between the fuel inlet and the outlet. It has a red wire nut on it, that I put there to keep bugs out while the engine sits. The old fuel pump did not have this port, however the old fuel pump came off the 305, not that it should make any difference.

I don't have a clue what it's for, do any of you guys know? Can I just plug it?

I bought this pump over a year ago (knowing I would eventually need it) while I could still take advantage of the price discount from the place I was working at, which at the time was about to go out of business. So I can't return or exchange it.

Thanks for any information you might have.

Mike

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would say that it is a return line. My truck had a similar pump originally. It had two lines to the tank, fuel supply and return.

·
BRB carring
522 Posts
it is a return line, i took mine back and got the one without it, since it was not needed.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jmark said:
Yes, its ok to run it when a 2 line pump is called for. Its a return port. Just make sure you block it good!! If it opens up, it'll squirt gas everywhere!!
Maybe I can use that return port to feed a little exterior flame thrower to fry imports with.

Thanks for the help guys.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Indeed you can :). I use to run my flamethrower that way. Just use a couple high quality fuel solenoids for safety :).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts