Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plastic Door pannels on my 76 GMC pickup are all faded from the sun and the dash pad is tired too... I thought the cheapest way to refresh them would be to paint with a rattle can.
I plan on doing a red & black interior and most pannels are a kinda burgundy color not near red enough for me.
Question is what kind of paint will not be affected by the UV and will stick to the dashpad and door pannels ?????????
Or am I totaly on the wrong track????

Thanx guys... Suggestions and Ideas are appreciated.

Bill...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Bill use the interior dyes offerd by many companies. They work well, and better than paint. Using paint can be done, but it leaves fumes and its just not good in my opinon.

HK

·
Registered
32 Posts
use dupont paints from your auto paint supplier.forget about spraycans...they can make any color in the rainbow 4 u.they tell u to us it straight,no thinning,but i find that it adheres better with a little laquer thinner.wipe down the panels with it too!3m makes a textured primer if the grain is gone.

·
Registered
676 Posts
HEY BILL: The big body shop supply houses here in the states sell special dye that you use like paint. It covers well and dries quick with no sticky or odor. DAVE SHANK

·
First name...............Shawn
631 Posts
A company called SEM makes a nice vinyl dye. If you use it, make sure you buy the complete kit. Plastic Prep Spray, Plastic Cleaner, and the dye.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bill, I got a local autobody paint supply place to mix up some vinyl dye in spray bombs. They can mix factory colors. One warning, if you've ever used armorall or similar product you'll need to clean thoroughly. I used SEM plastic prep cleaner as a final cleaner too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've tried this quick fix spray paint repair before and unless your prepared to totally dismantle everything and mask alot, not to mention clean try to lightly sand glossy surfaces, it is real messy. I also found that the sprayed surfaces when dry have a real cheap plastic look to them afterwards. I'd say go with the dye the others talked about or even try to get replacement panels and dash if the trucks worth it. Nothing beats the factory look. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
canadian tire carries interior trim dye , i think it's under the "mar-hyde "name .. most body shops that i deal with use the "mar-hyde " brand for colouring plastic .. good luck .. jim prowse ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I DYE INTERIORS FOR A LIVING. I DO WORK FOR AUTO DEALERSHIPS IN MY AREA AND HAVE BEEN USING SEMS PRODUCTS. REGULAR PAINT IS TOO BRITTLE AND FLAKES OFF IN TIME, MAKING A MESS. SEMS PRODUCTS AND OTHER DYES ARE MORE FLEXIBLE AND DRY IN A MATTER OF MINUTES ( LAQUER BASE PRODUCT ) . STAY WITH A PRODUCT THAT IS MADE FOR THE MATERIAL BEING SPRAYED. AND, JUST LIKE EXTERIOR PAINTING, MAKE SURE TO PREP YOUR AREA, THE BETTER YOU DO THAT, THE BETTER IT LOOKS AND LASTS...

·
Registered
136 Posts
i sprayed some model car paint on my defrost vent about a year ago, still looks good. if its a rustbucket and you're just trying to make it look a little better then model car paint isn't bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts