Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ive used evercoat stuff exclusively so far on the mustang...i have some pinholes and would like to just use some spot putty glaze stuff but dont know much about it. whats the consistency of it? like liquid or what?

whats the best kind for me to use?

i have some of the reddish bondo kind in a tube but i heard its crap and i need a 2 part kind....whats everyones take on this?

·
point on positive
1,680 Posts
USC has 2 that work well...
Icing is one and ThinIce is another..
The ThinIce is probably the better for smaller corrections and pin holes and seems to have a longer shelf life...

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
milo said:
USC has 2 that work well...
Icing is one and ThinIce is another..
The ThinIce is probably the better for smaller corrections and pin holes and seems to have a longer shelf life...

wow thanks for a pic! i've been trying to see this stuff in real life for a while lol...just to see the consistency of it....it is still filler though...i was under the impression it was like if you put some elmers glue and a little water in it...almost like water.

·
point on positive
1,680 Posts
It is very similar to regular filler but of a tighter structure... the one part of old can't be trusted to not shrink or react funny.

The two part putties set up in a few minutes and can save the day sometimes even on top of fresh base coat ... judgement call etc...
heres a reserach thread for fun,
http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread.php?t=773

Heres a couple pics after wet sanding the ThinIce just prior to priming on a painted ABS plastic part .

It likes a 80 grit roughed surface and then shape it with 180 wet or dry and then a quick scuff of the imedtiate area with 400 or so before primer...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
SHIFTY101EASY said:
i have some of the reddish bondo kind in a tube but i heard its crap and i need a 2 part kind....whats everyones take on this?
Throw that stuff away, now, before you're tempted to ever use it again.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
That one part stuff is good for exactly NOTHING! :nono: Throw it away and don't use it anywhere on car because it is nothing but trouble. Even small pinholes will eventually show if they are filled with this crap and sand scratches will reappear in a matter of days or even sooner. That stuff WILL shrink days or even weeks later no matter how you use it and don't let anyone tell you it won't!

·
Registered
327 Posts
302/Z28 said:
Totally agree, trash the one part red stuff before it causes you major problems.

Vince
thats what my autobody teacher told me also mine is trached Ed ke6bnl

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah dont worry, i've never used it. i was in some like hardware/autobody sorta random store buying some stuff and saw it on the counter when i was checking out. it was like literally $0.99 so i just threw it in also, and asked questions later.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey not to not listen to your advice on the other glazing stuff but i might be able to get some of this stuff for free from a friend.... http://store.goferauto.com/fbe-420.html

what do you think about that? says its good for the "metalworks system"...whatever that is....all i know is that it says metal works system on the outside of my filler cans as well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have used Icing many times, and have some friends that use it and have never had a problem with it. Most people put it on to thick. I will always use it, as it has never done me wrong. My friends car has been daily drivin for about 2 years now and shows no problem with it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
oldred said:
That one part stuff is good for exactly NOTHING! :nono: Throw it away and don't use it anywhere on car because it is nothing but trouble. Even small pinholes will eventually show if they are filled with this crap and sand scratches will reappear in a matter of days or even sooner. That stuff WILL shrink days or even weeks later no matter how you use it and don't let anyone tell you it won't!
I have used TONS of that stuff for many years and it works very well. The only time you will run into trouble is if you don't apply it as per the directions. I used it extensively on my Honda car (see my gallery) and pickup. So I can tell you right now that if what you say is true, they'd be total disasters by now. No, no .... It may not be the best but the stuff works especially if you are just filling pin holes or minor blemishes. Just make sure that you properly prep and sand the area prior to filling. A two part is probably better but holy crap, sometimes you don't have time to screw around, especially if you require just a tad. So use it and don't worry.

I have had great success using the Bondo putty, sanding, spraying primer, sanding again, then re-applying more putty. If you let the layers dry properly in between, it will work! Just make sure that you get the dust out of the sand marks before re-applying. The proof is in the pudding folks. :thumbup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think Shifty is talking about the "old" spot putty aka lacquer primer in a tube :) . No good for sure. Any of the "new" spot/glazing putties aka 2 part polyester glazing putty are great. Our shop uses Upol's Dolphin glaze but I've used Icing and Evercoat's metal glaze, all are nice products when used correctly. Rocco

·
Registered
40 Posts
rocco

Are you from central US?

Seems like we have the same likes/dislikes

Dolphin glaze rocks, as well as evercoats metal glaze, especially for pinholes... :thumbup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in so.Wisconsin, and work in no. Illinois. Dolphin glaze is a nice product, I wish the bodymen where I work knew how to use it! They still get tons of PINHOLES!!!! Hell, I get less pinholes in my mud than they get in the Dolphin glaze. They glob it on way to thick.

·
Registered
40 Posts
rocco1 said:
I live in so.Wisconsin, and work in no. Illinois. Dolphin glaze is a nice product, I wish the bodymen where I work knew how to use it! They still get tons of PINHOLES!!!! Hell, I get less pinholes in my mud than they get in the Dolphin glaze. They glob it on way to thick.

Me and U both, nice to know I'm not the only painter with pinhole problems....

How many times have you heard, Heck primer will fill it in?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts