·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, whats your opinion on this.

T5 Transmission.. Parts Shop lists Dextron 2 ATF as the correct oil to use

GM Guy told me that ATF was used to help prolong life of seals but ATF is
not a bearing oil its more of a hydraulic fluid that gets used under pressure
and not to use ATF. T5 needs Oil suitable for bearings and gears/ The oil is not under any pressure.

He said use Regular light weight gear oil or a synthetic blend.

Comments most welcome.

What do I use ?

Thanks X711

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
If you use gear oil or engine oil you can kiss that baby goodbye. $$$$$$$

Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in my Mustang T-5s.

Did back to back test 30 minutes apart... amazing difference from straight plain atf. Shifter feels all together smoother.

All vehicles 100% Mobil 1, engine, atf, diff, wheel bearings, 20 years.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Use DexronII or Dexron II ONLY!!!!! DO NOT USE SYNTHETICS!! Petroleum based fluid only!!

Using other oils will destroy the synchro rings and the gear faces they mesh with. :nono: :nono: I cannot overstate this: Dexron II or III only.

This trans was designed to be used with ATF and will live a long, happy life with it.
I have fixed PLENTY of T5 trans that were run on synthetics. They do have a place, just not in this trans.
Your other option is to try your ill-advised recommendation, then start saving $$$. It will require no less than $800 to fix it....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I fail to see how Dextron II or II can lubricate a bearing correctly. That stuff
is like hydraulic fluid. Guys in a tranny shop told me not to use ATF also.

I have re-built the transmission as it had a missing tooth on the 5th driven gear, I also replaced all bearings and seals, Synchro rings were fine no apparent wear. It looked like there was 75/90 gear oil in there and it shifted smooth.

I know there were two variants of the T5, one was a so called world class that had a certain friction type of lining that used ATF. But mine is not a world class type. Its out of a 84 Camaro.

So what to do.. Im stuck.

I am leaning to Mobil Synthetic or Amsoil for it. Or just use a Standard Synchromesh oil such as 10w.30

see here .http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mtf.aspx

Thanks X711

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Ford has been using ATF in their T5's at least since 1994 that I know of. The newer Corvette uses ATF in their manual transmissions also. ATF is the most engineered lubricant in history, there is no way it will harm a transmission designed to run it.

Vince

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
x711 said:
I fail to see how Dextron II or II can lubricate a bearing correctly. That stuff
is like hydraulic fluid. Guys in a tranny shop told me not to use ATF also.

I have re-built the transmission as it had a missing tooth on the 5th driven gear, I also replaced all bearings and seals, Synchro rings were fine no apparent wear. It looked like there was 75/90 gear oil in there and it shifted smooth.

I know there were two variants of the T5, one was a so called world class that had a certain friction type of lining that used ATF. But mine is not a world class type. Its out of a 84 Camaro.

So what to do.. Im stuck.

I am leaning to Mobil Synthetic or Amsoil for it. Or just use a Standard Synchromesh oil such as 10w.30

see here .http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mtf.aspx

Thanks X711
heres a real simple rule of thumb... cast iron gets 80-90, aluminum gets atf... if all else fails, get a book... personally though, uve had 2 people that absolutely know their stuff tell u it takes atf and ill tell u the same.... and if u still dont believe, have the dealer look it up :spank:

·
Registered
685 Posts
What oil do you guys run in a T5 manual Transmission

x711,I checked out the web site you posted. They do give a compelling argument as to why you should not use ATF. However.

The engineers that design these transmissions,have an almost,unlimited amount of resources at there disposal. This alone should make it difficult to go against their recommendations.

Common sense and sheer logic should also help guide you,with this decision.

What I read on the internet,is not the gospel,to me. I doubt it is to most people.

And no,the engineers don't always get it right,but in this case,since I know of no logical reason to not adhere to their recommendation [regarding fluid type], I would use ATF.

By the way xntrik,how many zeros are there in a gazillion?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well guys I do appreciate you chiming in with your opinions.

Since the transmission is a 1984 Borg warner and I am just about finished
re-building it I will go ahead and use the ATF type fluid and see how it does.
The synchro rings are Brass in there so as long as the ATF does not break down
the Brass rings I should be ok.

Anyways the ATF is a whole lot easier to get than a snake oil blend..

Thanks again.

X711.

·
5,122 Posts
I don't consider myself a T-5 or T-45 expert, as all I do is power shift, not rebuild them. There are many trans out there in abusive situations and lots that have been blown up, and 99% of rebuilders recommend synthetic ATF.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,819 Posts
Gear oil has sulfer in it to prevent microwelding. That's why they smell so bad too. The same stuff goes in your rear axle for the same reasons.

A change in the heli gear pitch and metal alloys allows the use of ATF for the detergent's, the smoother wet clutch syncro's, and it free's up friction at very various temps helping with cold driveaway and mileage.. Shees, it free's up even at operating temps.

·
5,122 Posts
I acknowledged in # 10 that ATF is recommended for T-5s.

Based on many racers experience and recommendations of several
(I mis-spoke and said 99% :spank: = I haven't talked to them ALL) rebuilders, I personally use Mobil 1 ATF in mine and have no problems.
As I said, it shifts noticably smoother. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.