Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My paint guy will use whatever I want. He uses Sikkins. I want SPI products except for base. I have to use another brand to get the color I want. Is Sikkins ok or? this is a sand down to metal, SPI epoxy, etc. It will be a BC/CC job.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,329 Posts
Sikkens makes some excellent products, why not do the whole thing in it?
If you paint guy is comfortable with it, I would just let him use what he uses normally.

Brian

·
16,329 Posts
I am not saying that you can't mix product lines, you just don't mix COMPONANTS from different lines.

To spray the SPI primers and clears using another base color has been proven, it shouldn't be a problem.

What I am saying is Sikkens is known for some super good products with a super COMPLETE system. If the painter is used to this system, why not use it?

Brian

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sikkens do make some excellent products. Why are you wanting to use
SPI for the primer, is there an advantage to this ?

I think you are better off letting your painter use what he likes i.e the Sikkens product line. He has experience with it so there is less room for a screw up !

Thanks... X711

·
16,329 Posts
"Less room for a screw up", not only that, but if something does go wrong, it is the products that YOU picked. I don't care if the guy made every mistake in the book he will likely blame the products YOU provided. I say stick with what the guy knows best, UNLESS there is something wrong with it. And there is nothing wrong with Sikkens products (on a whole).

Brian

·
Registered
321 Posts
Brian thats a excellent point and sound advice.

Your right though. If something does go wrong regardless if the paint is the problem or not as we all know too well, the paint will be the "Out" for the painter.

The best safest bet for this gig is go with Sikkens !

You might be just fine with the SPI stuff, then again you might not. At least
if the painter is using one product line then this will be backed by the manufacturer against defects and compatibility problems. Manufacturers typically warranty their paint based on using a complete system that they
provide to get the job done. Mix and Match paint across vendors and that
warranty will be a problem come collection time.

If you go to the sikkens website you can get a feel for their products in advance of getting the job done !

http://www.sikkens.net/

Best of luck on your project.

X711

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before I found him, I had made some repairs with SPI epoxy primer. That's all. Mainly wanted to hear if Sikkens is good , medium or bad. Sounds like it's Good. I will let him do what he does.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I don't think you could go wrong with either. A good painter should feel fairly comfortable spraying another brand and are adapting creatures, but everyone has their personal preferances and what they are most accustomed to using. I use to spray dupont in the shops, but at home would usually use ppg products. Even though Dupont was perfectly fine, for some reason I just liked ppg a little more. Heck in school, we had dupont, ppg and sikkens mixing banks, base and clear, and believe I used all of them at some point during the year. I would hate that if he did happen to mess up somehow however, he blamed the spi. Spi might be a little better price and as good or better quality, but Sikkens would be perfectly fine, and if he is accustomed to using it, let him use what he prefers and is most comfortable with. But if painters never tried different brands, we never would know what is out there, or what we prefer using.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Use whatever your painter wants or what you want, akzo nobel makes some good products. There won't be any problems using the Sikkens over any of SPI's undercoats-this gets done all the time. And repairs are made over another manufacturer's paint all day-every day. You won't go wrong with either product line IMO. Your painter can clue you in to whether or not there's any warranty being offered, some paint companies won't back their products unless the painter is trained and certified.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use sikkens every day, you can use any good primer but with sikkens your painter can tint the primer for better coverage and paint savings.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
MARTINSR said:
"Less room for a screw up", not only that, but if something does go wrong, it is the products that YOU picked. I don't care if the guy made every mistake in the book he will likely blame the products YOU provided. I say stick with what the guy knows best, UNLESS there is something wrong with it. And there is nothing wrong with Sikkens products (on a whole).

Brian
Thing is is that the guys who have been doing anything for a while have means and methods that Work for them!!! I would not mess with that as that guy knows what he needs to do in his shop to get a good result..That does not mean we are not willing to look at things that may be a better way of doing things in some way..

Just my take

Sam

3,214 Posts
I personally use SPI products whenever I can. When I can't get the base color from them, I usually use either Dupont or SW. Those products are the ones that I am most comfortable with. It doesn't mean that the others aren't any good. It only means that I am most comfortable with those. You will normally end up with a better job when you are the most comfortable.

Aaron

1 - 17 of 17 Posts