Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are probably a ton of threads asking this same question but I really need a good answer since we are confused so much at the moment, so bear with me :)

So anyways me and my dad need to prime part of the cowl right now on our 69 camaro, and eventually sometime next summer the whole car and paint as well. Neither of us know a whole lot about painting , we did the entire undercarriage but we will probably not be doing most of the body outside of the cowl since its just bare metal right now.

I read the what paint do I use thread in this section and what I think I understand is we need a good etching primer, and then urethane primer over it. Is this correct?? The cowl was sandblasted, but the rest of the body is going to be stripped as its in primer right now but we need to do some body work.

The car is going to be a shade of lemans blue down the line, and like the primer question we are unsure of what brand to even use. Before we walk into a paint store seeming like morons Id like to get a little bit of the simple ?'s out of the way and any help on what primer we should be going for, or brands, or even good books to pick up would be big time appreciated.

Thx a million!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Considering it is blasted to bare metal, I would use epoxy primer. Southern Polyurethanes has an excellent epoxy primer. PPG has an epoxy primer DPLF and Dupont has DTM. I myself am partial to the Southern Poly epoxy. I have sprayed DP and DPLF. The old DP was good stuff, but the newer DPLF I sprayed on my truck a year ago did not hold up well. I am going to use the Southern Poly epoxy on my daily driver as I liked how it worked on my custom. I am not an expert, but I believe that since you have blasted to bare steel, a metal etch primer maybe not the best in your case. There, that last statement ought to start a VERY..VERY long thread. Let us know how it goes on whatever you decide. PICs are always welcomed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
im kinda lost

a friend referred me to the dp series epoxy primer.....says the stuff is amazing and would recommend it to everyone, so i but some for my car. I have the car down to bare metal and started doing some research on the stuff (dplf) and found that some of you dont like the new epoxy that ppg puts out. I was planning on using all ppg products but if the epoxy is crap i dont want to use it. What is the best epoxy that i can use and still use the rest of me ppg products (k-36, dbc 2000) without a bad reaction between the product. Will the spi epoxy work, most of you seem to like it. Or what would be the best system that i can use. Ive been searching posts for days and i cant seem to find an answer to what im looking for. I want this done right so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Collin

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
For bare metal,I have been using DuPont Nason Ful-Poxy for years and have had NO problems at all.Especally after s'blasting and a good cleaning.
I plan on using the SPI products myself when I get to the paint stage on a current project.
Etch primer is all but dead as most everyone is going to epoxy and have had ALOT less trouble with it.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Don't be afraid to use another company's epoxy under that PPG stuff- there won't be any problems. SPI gets some great reviews on this board. PPG's DPLF isn't well liked by most people that knew the old DP. EPX900 is another option that I've been using off and on for about 4 years now. It comes as a neutral color that is tintable and seems to be very similar to the old DP IMO. A PPG industrial coatings supplier will have the EPX900- it's not in the automotive line. PPG will not warranty if you mix between the industrial line and the automotive but I haven't seen any failures with the stuff. Akzo Nobel Utech epoxy is good stuff. Dupont's is good, also heard good things about Valspar and Transtar but haven't tried them. I will be trying the spi hopefully soon. Bob

·
The Penny Pincher
1,944 Posts
Does anybody know for sure if epoxy primer is good over new plastic
bumpers? I can't find anything in the tech sheet for Nason or DuPont
epoxy that says anything about plastic.
Someone on this forum told me that the epoxy would stick better than
the urethane I've been using for plastic. If that's true it sure would save me a lot of sanding.

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
jc, I used the Nason on a 90 Camaro's bumpers and that was 2 years ago and no problems as to now. :thumbup:

·
Registered
244 Posts
PPG's dplf epoxy= junk!!! Id also skip the idea of using k36 as well. Go with K38 or NCP272 instead. Both are superior products to K36.

I too suggest SPI epoxy, awesome stuff!! Ive got some of their turbo urethane primer but yet to try it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts